Luzon Newsbits

DPWH to clear Ecija waterways

December 5, 2011, 5:15pm

SAN FERNANDO CITY, Pampanga, Philippines — The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) here said Monday that some 733 structures in Nueva Ecija encroaching natural waterways will be dismantled.

The DPWH said these include houses, factories and buildings that may cause massive flooding in Nueva Ecija and neighboring provinces if they will not be cleared from the waterways.

A survey of the area showed that 140 houses were found encroaching on the Marinal Creek in Laur, Palayan River in Palayan City, Nabao Creek in Cabanatuan City and the Dupinga, Asan and Danglan Creeks in Gabaldon. (Mark Anthony N. Manuel)

Angono aims for zero plastic

ANGONO, Rizal — Following the move of its neighbor, Antipolo City, to regulate the use of plastic and Styrofoam bags and containers as food packaging materials, this town is also aiming to be a plastic-free zone.

Mayor Gerardo “Gerry” Calderon said Monday that he had signed a local ordinance prohibiting the use of plastic bags on dry goods and regulating its utilization on wet goods and prohibiting the use of Styrofoam.

The ordinance which was passed by the Sangguniang Bayan last Oct. 3, 2011, was authored by Councilor Bernie Blaco Guir. Its full implementation will be done one year for now. (Nel B. Andrade)

Subic set on power plant

SUBIC BAY FREEPORT – To address a projected power shortage in 2012, as revealed by the Department of Energy (DoE), a proposed 600-megawatt coal-fired power plant inside this premier Freeport is expected to push through, but not without opposition from environmentalists.

During a press conference, Ray Cunningham said that the opposition to the Subic coal-fired power plant is so small that it is not enough to halt its construction. He added that the need to produce energy weighs heavier than anything else. “The RP Energy Power Station will be built on land on Redondo Peninsula that was agreed,” said Lito Lantin, RP Energy. (Jonas Reyes)

CIDG: Report asking of gifts

CAMP TOLENTINO, Bataan — The chief of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) urged the public Monday to refrain from giving money and Christmas gifts to policemen posing as members of the CIDG.

Chief Inspector Rogarth B. Campo, Provincial chief of the CIDG, said his action came in the wake of the arrest of four suspected extortionists who were collared by them while the suspects were asking for protection money from a business establishment in Barangay Cabcaben, Mariveles town last week.

Campo advised the public to report to the CIDG any attempt by police officers to ask for gifts. (Mar T. Supnad)

De Venecias pray for GMA

DAGUPAN CITY, Pangasinan — Former House Speaker Jose de Venecia and his wife, 4th District Rep. Gina de Venecia, have put their differences with former President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo behind and said they are praying for her.

Speaking on their relationship with now Pampanga Rep. Arroyo, the couple expressed pity for the fate of their once close friend and political ally. With the political and legal woes besetting Mrs. Arroyo, the former House Speaker said God may be giving her “a chance to save her soul.” For her part, Rep. De Venecia said: “I am praying for her that she bears the weight of these challenges.” (Liezle Basa Iñigo)

Comments