Visayas Newsbits
Absorb wokers
CEBU CITY, Cebu, Philippines (PNA) — The owners of gutted Gaisano Capitol South mall have been asked by the Cebu city government to absorb over 1,000 workers left jobless after a three-day fire hit the mall shortly after midnight Thursday, destroying some P20 million worth of property.
Rama suggested that the Gaisano chain of stores coordinate with each other to absorb the affected employees. Gaisano Capital South had some 1,000 direct hire and agency-based personnel and its tenants had 800 employees, including sales and office staff, security guards, and utility workers, among others.
Army response
CATBALOGAN CITY, Samar (PIA) — The Philippine Army (PA)’s 8th Infantry Division (8th ID) Commanding General Mario Chan said the 8ID troops are always poised to help civilians in distress particularly at this time of incessant rains.
For instance, Chan said a water search and rescue (WASAR) team had been deployed on board two military trucks on Tuesday to respond to a distress call from Abuyog, Leyte. “The team included 21 WASAR-trained personnel under Cpt. Jaderick Gagabi, with three rubber boats, chainsaw, two nurses, and security escorts,” Chan said.
BFP reminder
TAGBILARAN CITY, Bohol (PIA) — The Bureau of Fire Protection in Bohol reminds revelers of the risks of improperly handling and playing with firecrackers. Bohol Fire officer Vincent Ente told local media that “‘Oplan Paalala’ is one proactive way of stressing the need to be better safe than sorry, especially in celebrating the holidays.”
In coordination with local authorities and the police, ‘Oplan Paalala’ allows firefighters and police officers to visit barangays and remind residents of the safety measures in handling firecrackers and other pyrotechnic devises. Ente said Bureau of Fire records show that 2010 accidents by firecrackers and pyrotechnics increased by seven percent compared to the 2009 data.
Party waived
CATBALOGAN CITY, Samar (PIA) — The diocese of Calbayog said it cancelled its annual Christmas Party and instead donated the party budget to tropical storm “Sendong” victims. “Sendong” claimed the lives of over 1,000 from the cities of Cagayan de Oro, Iligan, and Dumaguete.
“We also cancelled our Calbayog clergy Christmas Party and decided to give the money to the hungry and the homeless of Cagayan de Oro and Iligan City,” Bishop Isabelo Abarquez said. Also, he said, “We sent seven sacks of used clothing to the Diocese of Dumaguete through Cokaliong Shipping Lines acknowledged by Bishop John Du.”
Capiz injuries
ROXAS CITY, Capiz (PIA) — Two firecracker and “boga”- related injuries were recorded by the Capiz Provincial Health Office (PHO) between Dec. 21 and 26. “Boga,” also known as a PVC cannon, is a noisemaker popularly used in December despite the fact that the device has been banned in the country.
The provincial PHO said that the very first recorded victim of a blast burn without amputation from a firecracker was a nine-year old boy from Dulangan, Pilar who was brought to Bailan District Hospital for medical treatment. “Another case is a boga – related injury of an 18-year-old male from Dao town,” PHO Public Information Officer Joeffry Espiritu said, while clarifying that there has actually been a “downtrend of firecrackers related – injuries in the province in the past couple of years.”


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.