Visayas Newsbits
PNP Hospital
CAMP RUPERTO K. KANGLEON, PALO, Leyte, Philippines (PIA) — The Philippine National Police (PNP) in Eastern Visayas recently held groundbreaking ceremonies for the construction of the Regional Health Service 8 Level 1 Hospital at the PRO-8 grounds, Camp Ruperto Kangleon.
This is in line with the PNP Integrated Transformation Program’s Facilities Development aimed at developing and upgrading PNP facilities, PNP chief of the Regional Police Community Relations Division, PSSupt. Elizar Egloso, said. The groundbreaking ceremony for the P5.2-million hospital was graced by Department of Health (DoH) Region 8 Dir. Edgardo Gonzaga, who was the guest of honor and speaker.
More aid
DUMAGUETE CITY, Negros Oriental (PNA) — More donation pledges are pouring in for victims of floods brought by tropical storm Sendong in this province.
South Korea’s World Disaster Relief Organization which had already previously distributed relief items to “Sendong” victims in pre-identified areas in Dumaguete, Valencia, Pamplona and Sibulan last Saturday, said it will come back again soon bringing more relief aid.
The WDRO sent two truckloads of relief aid distributed through Korean community in Cebu headed by Mr. Charlie Shin, and in partnership with the Philippine National Police Region 7.
Free insurance
ILOILO CITY, Iloilo (PNA) — The Iloilo City government distributed death and accident insurance packages for pedicab drivers here during a ceremony last Monday. Some 5,630 members of pedicab drivers' associations here stand to benefit from the P10,000 worth of insurance coverage provided by the Philippine National Bank.
Pedicab drivers have already organized themselves into a federation with associations in all seven metro districts.The insurance package, a first for pedicab drivers, is good for a year. Meanwhile, the city government will be requiring pedicab drivers to wear an identification card and uniform starting February in compliance with Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog’s “no ID, no byahe (trip)” policy.
Cop sanctioned
ILOILO CITY, Iloilo (PNA) — Jaro police chief Senior Insp. Joseph Euje Almaquer was relieved from his post due to his alleged failure to act immediately on the case of Ramon Espia, an indiscriminate gun firing suspect during the New Year's eve celebration. Iloilo City police director Senior Supt. Marietto Valerio ordered Almaquer’s relief effective last January 7.
Valerio said Almaquer was sacked due to the doctrine of command responsibility. Senior Insp. Stephen Somosot was designated as new officer-in-charge of Iloilo City Police Station 3. Almaquer, on the other hand, took over Somosot’s post as deputy chief of the Iloilo City Police Office’s Investigation and Detective Management Section.
Partnership renewed
CEBU CITY, Cebu (PNA) — The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) 7 has renewed its partnership with the Cebu City government in implementing the national government’s flagship poverty alleviation Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program.
In a memorandum of agreement, the city government vowed support for the DSWD’s move to expand the program to 13 more barangays here. The program now covers 4,444 households from 23 barangays in Cebu City. To help the beneficiaries comply with program conditions, the city’s social welfare office has put up 20 day care facilities in barangays covered by the program.


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.