Visayas Newsbits
Tetanus watch
ROXAS CITY, Capiz, Philippines (PIA) — Surveillance for possible cases of tetanus due to firecracker injury in Capiz has yielded negative result as of Jan. 11, according to Capiz Provincial Health Office (PHO) Public Information Officer Joeffry M. Espiritu who said the activity will continue until Jan. 21 this year.
A PHO report said the number of firecracker and boga – related injuries which were given medical treatment in hospitals here rose to 32 since Dec. 21 last year, higher than 24 cases in 2010. PHO said everyone with wounds and injuries caused by or related to fireworks to see doctors for their injections of tetanus toxoid and tetanus anti-toxin.
Livelihood program
SILAGO, Southern Leyte (PIA) — Twenty-six women members of the Puntana Women's Nature Club received P256,720 for a High Value Vegetable Production Project here.
Pursuant to one of President Benigno S. Aquino’s thrusts, that is, work creation, the Department of Labor and Employment (DoLE) in Region 8, through its Regional Director Atty. Forter G. Puguon, has released the amount of P256,720.00 to the local government unit (LGU) of Silago, Southern Leyte intended for said project.
OSY training
BACOLOD CITY, Negros Occ. (PIA) — Sixty out-of-school youth (OSY) availed of the Training for Work Scholarship Program of the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA), implemented by Power Foundation, Inc. Participants are youth from indigent families in Negros Occidental.
The core component of the 156-hour program was welding of carbon steel plates using Flux Cored Arc Welding (FCAW). The course was designed to enhance knowledge, skills and attributes in FCAW in accordance with industry standards. At program’s end, graduates were qualified for assessment by the TESDA under FECAW, a basic requirement for employment abroad as welder
OFW assistance
ILOILO CITY, Iloilo (PIA) — The Department of Labor and Employment in Region 6 (DOLE 6) is ready to assist Ilonggo overseas Filipino workers (OFW) repatriated due to the escalating violence in Syria. “There are only 20 documented OFWs from Western Visayas,” said OIC-Regional Director Crispin Dannug.
Of the 20 documented OFWs, the DOLE record show 16 are female and four male. Iloilo province has six OFWs, that is, three male and three female, working in Syria; Negros Occidental has five, all female; Capiz, five (four female, one male); Antique has three, all female, and Aklan one female.
More aid
DUMAGUETE CITY, Negros Oriental (PIA) — Families displaced by tropical storm Sendong in Negros Oriental can expect more financial aid, this time from the provincial government here. Governor Roel Degamo said the provincial government is set to extend P5,000 to families whose houses were totally damaged by the typhoon and P2,500 for those with partially damaged houses.
The Negros Oriental provincial government has set aside P13 million from its Quick Response Fund (QRF) as monetary aid for the storm victims. Degamo announced this during the distribution of the P10,000 financial assistance from the National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC) for victims who died due to the storm that struck Negros Oriental Dec. 17 last year.


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.