Luzon Newsbits
Tarlac Holiday
TARLAC CITY — President Benigno Aquino III declared April 19, Thursday, a special non-working holiday for the city’s 14th Charter Day. The President issued Proclamation No.356 on March 27 “to give the people of the city the opportunity to celebrate and participate in the occasion.”
Tarlac was elevated into a component city by virtue of Republic Act 8593, which was overwhelmingly ratified by the town’s registered voters in 1998. During the actual cityhood anniversary today, there will be a Rice Cake Festival in the afternoon and ballroom dancing for barangay officials and women leaders in the evening. The day will be capped with a fireworks display. (Mark Anthony Manuel)
Gun Ban
LINGAYEN, Pangasinan – The Pangasinan Provincial Police Office recommended to the provincial board to pass a resolution for a total gun ban during the province’s hosting of the Palarong Pambansa 2012. The proposal stemmed from fear that more crimes might happen during the big sports event from May 6 to May 12.
The total gun ban will served as a proactive measure in preparation for the security not for just the people of Pangasinan but for athletes and delegates participating in the Palarong Pambansa. The provincial board requested representatives from the provincial police to attend the regular session on Monday to defend his recommendation for a gun ban. (Liezle Basa Iñigo)
Dinalupihan High
DINALUPIHAN, Bataan — The Garcias leadership are bent on pushing for the establishment of a National High school inside this strategic town. This was revealed last week by Governor Enrique “Tet” Garcia who approved establishment of a Secondary school inside this town, saying the children can save a lot of time and money here.
However, Mayor Joel Payumo turned it down, saying he cannot allow it to b
e put up inside the Oval ground where the Garcias wanted the proposed high school to be put up. Earlier, Gila S. Garcia, Bataan’s First district coordinator and daughter of the governor, requested for the establishment of a national high school in the town to benefit the thousands of secondary students living there. (Mar Supnad)
Irrigation Project
CABANATUAN CITY, Nueva Ecija — The National Government has allocated P24 billion for irrigation projects nationwide in line of the government’s Food Staple Sufficiency Program (FSSP), a National Irrigation Authority (NIA) official said Tuesday.
Engr. Dexter Patrocinio, NIA operations manager, said that the amount will be used to irrigate 81,000 hectares of land, restore 55,000 hectares of existing irrigation system, and rehabilitate 83,000 hectares of irrigated lands. Funds will be released in 2012 to 2013. (Mark Anthony N. Manuel)
Road Mishap
CAMP DIEGO SILANG, La Union — At least 14 persons were injured after a passenger jeepney they were riding in fell down a five-foot deep ravine along the road in Barangay Bato, Naguilian, La Union last Tuesday. Police said the victims were on a jeepney driven by Dodie Boy Nerona and were on their way to Barangay Delles, Burgos, La Union to attend a wedding reception.
The driver allegedly lost control of the vehicle while overtaking two tricycles along the narrow road. The passengers of the jeepney sustained minor injuries and were rushed to Naguilian District Hospital for treatment. Police said the jeepney driver is now under police custody. (Freddie G. Lazaro)


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.