Luzon Newsbits
RIVER PATROLS
MARILAO, Bulacan—More than 500 Bulakenyos yesterday joined the campaign to help clean up the Marilao-Meycauayan-Obando River System (MMORS). Gov. Wilhelmino M. Sy-Alvarado led government, military and police officials in launching a patrol program for the river system. At a short program in Barangay Saog this town, the officials signed the implementing rules and regulations of the No Plastic Ordinance. The boats used by each municipality in patrolling the river must be registered, for easier monitoring. Signs will be put up defining the role the river patrol. (Freddie C. Velez)
TOWN HALLS
TRECE MARTIRES CITY, Cavite – The provincial government has allocated P104,716,000 for building a new municipal hall for Indang and General Emilio Aguinaldo, two towns in 7th district of Cavite. The Sangguniang Panglalawigan (Provincial Board) approved a resolution authorizing Governor Jonvic Remulla to enter into a loan contract with the Land Bank of the Philippines (LBP) to fund the construction of the two town halls as well as a schoolbuilding in Alfonso, another town in 7th District. Indang, a first class municipality with a population of 68,271, is one of the top town coffee producers and vegetable baskets of Cavite. Aguinaldo is a fifth class area with a population of 20,716. (Anthony Giron)
OUTSTANDING SOLDIER
TARLAC CITY — The Metro Bank Foundation, Inc. and the Rotary Club of Makati Metro have named Army Colonel Milfredo Mamaclay Melegrito, a native of this province, as one of the winners in the 2012 search for The Outstanding Philippine Soldier (TOPS). TOPS is an annual search which recognizes and pays tribute to the outstanding gallantry, dedication, commitment, professionalism and integrity among members of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP). Melegrito, who is currently assigned at Camp O’Donnell, Sta. Lucia, Capas, was chosen under the Commissioned Officer Category of the Philippine Army. The 50-year-old Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Science graduate will receive a trophy and a cash prize of P300,000. The awarding ceremonies will be on September 5. (Mar T. Supnad)
BOOKIES ARRESTED
ORANI, Bataan — Sixteen persons suspected to be gambling bookies were arrested in this town and in Balanga City, police reported yesterday. Police seized from the suspects cash amounting to P2,534.00, two calculators, and bundles of lottery papelitos. The Balanga police under Supt. Bong Buslig will file illegal gambling charges against those arrested. In Orani town, police arrested eight bookies in Barangay Mulawin while counting bets. (Mar T. Supnad)
DRUG-FREE JAIL
MALOLOS CITY, Bulacan — The Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) has declared the Bulacan Provincial Jail as a “drug-free zone.” During an inspection of the jail on Wednesday, PDEA agents did not find any trace of illegal drugs or paraphernalia. Provincial warden Retired Lt. Col. Pepito B. Plamenco said the PDEA team using narcotics sniffing dogs in searching the cells. Sanchez lauded the strict security and monitoring inside the Bulacan Provincial Jail, which had been notorious in the past as a facility where prohibited substance like shabu are sold. Plamenco said the provincial government has initiated strict security and monitoring measures to ensure that no illegal drugs can be sneaked into the jail. (Freddie C. Velez)

