By Nonoy Lacson
ZAMBOANGA CITY – The Bureau of Customs (BOC) in Zamboanga Peninsula has stepped up its campaign against anti-smuggling activities in the Zamboanga, Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi (ZamBaSulTa) area, and has dangled a reward amounting to 20 percent of the proceeds from apprehended smuggled goods to informants.
(MANILA BULLETIN)
BOC Zamboanga City District Collector Segundo Z. Barte, Jr. said Friday the agency was offering 20 percent to any informant who could lead authorities to the apprehension of smuggled shipment of goods in the ZamBaSulTa area as part of its strategy to stop smuggling in this part of the country.
He cited that, most often, the value of cargoes loaded in the wooden vessels that the agency had previously confiscated reached about P20 to P40 million.
As such, informants could stand to earn as much as P4 million from the BOC.
“BOC is offering the reward to everybody regardless of their standing in the community, be he a government employee, policemen, soldier or just a lowly citizen of the community,” Barte said.
He also gave the assurance that he will personally process the payment of the reward to be given to the tipster, whose identity the agency will keep under wraps for his personal and family’s safety.
Barte observed that smugglers have been using ZamBaSulTa as entry point for smuggled goods from nearby Sabah, Malaysia, using wooden vessels.
Most of the goods being smuggled to ZamBaSulTa area were rice, sugar and imported cigarettes including noodles and toiletries, he said.
He also warned the Aleson and Montenegro Shipping Lines, which are based in this city, of a possible issuance of a “warrant of seizure and detention” by the BOC if their ships are found involved in the smuggling of these goods.
In his letter address to the two shipping lines, Barte said: “Please be informed that any vessel engaged in transporting rice, sugar, and cigarettes without any permit issued by BOC, Sugar Regulation Authority and National Tabaco Administration may render the owner in bad faith and may lead to the issuance of “Warrant of Seizure and Detention” against the vessel.”
(MANILA BULLETIN)
BOC Zamboanga City District Collector Segundo Z. Barte, Jr. said Friday the agency was offering 20 percent to any informant who could lead authorities to the apprehension of smuggled shipment of goods in the ZamBaSulTa area as part of its strategy to stop smuggling in this part of the country.
He cited that, most often, the value of cargoes loaded in the wooden vessels that the agency had previously confiscated reached about P20 to P40 million.
As such, informants could stand to earn as much as P4 million from the BOC.
“BOC is offering the reward to everybody regardless of their standing in the community, be he a government employee, policemen, soldier or just a lowly citizen of the community,” Barte said.
He also gave the assurance that he will personally process the payment of the reward to be given to the tipster, whose identity the agency will keep under wraps for his personal and family’s safety.
Barte observed that smugglers have been using ZamBaSulTa as entry point for smuggled goods from nearby Sabah, Malaysia, using wooden vessels.
Most of the goods being smuggled to ZamBaSulTa area were rice, sugar and imported cigarettes including noodles and toiletries, he said.
He also warned the Aleson and Montenegro Shipping Lines, which are based in this city, of a possible issuance of a “warrant of seizure and detention” by the BOC if their ships are found involved in the smuggling of these goods.
In his letter address to the two shipping lines, Barte said: “Please be informed that any vessel engaged in transporting rice, sugar, and cigarettes without any permit issued by BOC, Sugar Regulation Authority and National Tabaco Administration may render the owner in bad faith and may lead to the issuance of “Warrant of Seizure and Detention” against the vessel.”