By Jeffrey Damicog
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra was asked on Friday (July 26) to dismiss the complaint against Vice President Maria Leonor “Leni” Robredo concerning her alleged involvement in the “Ang Totoong Nartcolist” viral videos.
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra
(PCOO / MANILA BULLETIN) “As Filipino citizens who have a right and duty to protect our votes, we implore you to dismiss these charges as they are baseless and just another attempt to silence opposition against the administration,” read a letter from advocacy group Team Pilipinas to Guevarra. Team Pilipinas official Bianca Lacaba told reporters that her group has already begun a signature campaign at change.org seeking support for Robredo. “When we reach the ample amount of numbers, support from people we would file another letter to Sec. Gueverra to express our intent that we want these charges dismissed,” said Lacaba who noted the group is targeting 25,000 signatures. As of 3 p.m. on Friday, the signatures already reached 16,999. “Malakas ang paniniwala namin na siya ang target nung sedition and other charges (We strongly believe Robredo is the real target of the complaint),” said Lacaba who noted that there are already talks of impeaching Robredo because the complaint. The complaint was filed last July 18 by the Philippine National Police-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) which accused Robredo and 35 others of having committed sedition, inciting to sedition, cyber libel, libel, estafa, harboring a criminal, and obstruction of justice. READ MORE: DOJ summons Robredo, ‘Bikoy’ raps co-respondents The case stemmed from the “Ang Totoong Narcolist” which featured Peter Joelmel Advincula, alias Bikoy, who accused a number of personalities including family members of President Rodrigo Duterte as being involved in the illegal drugs trade. The PNP-CIDG relied on the testimony of Advincula who claimed “he was engaged by the respondents to spread lies against the President, his family and close associate, making them to appear as illegal trade protectors and how they earned staggering amounts of money.” However, Team Pilipinas pointed out the testimony of Advincula was not credible. The group reminded that Malacanang Spokesperson Salvador Panelo had previously questioned the credibility of Advincula for accusing members of the Duterte family in being involved in illegal drugs. “It is appalling how suddenly, Bikoy's words have credibility only because it is now against those who dissent against the administration,” it lamented. READ MORE: DOJ set to start preliminary probe on sedition, libel raps over ‘Bikoy’ videos
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra(PCOO / MANILA BULLETIN) “As Filipino citizens who have a right and duty to protect our votes, we implore you to dismiss these charges as they are baseless and just another attempt to silence opposition against the administration,” read a letter from advocacy group Team Pilipinas to Guevarra. Team Pilipinas official Bianca Lacaba told reporters that her group has already begun a signature campaign at change.org seeking support for Robredo. “When we reach the ample amount of numbers, support from people we would file another letter to Sec. Gueverra to express our intent that we want these charges dismissed,” said Lacaba who noted the group is targeting 25,000 signatures. As of 3 p.m. on Friday, the signatures already reached 16,999. “Malakas ang paniniwala namin na siya ang target nung sedition and other charges (We strongly believe Robredo is the real target of the complaint),” said Lacaba who noted that there are already talks of impeaching Robredo because the complaint. The complaint was filed last July 18 by the Philippine National Police-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) which accused Robredo and 35 others of having committed sedition, inciting to sedition, cyber libel, libel, estafa, harboring a criminal, and obstruction of justice. READ MORE: DOJ summons Robredo, ‘Bikoy’ raps co-respondents The case stemmed from the “Ang Totoong Narcolist” which featured Peter Joelmel Advincula, alias Bikoy, who accused a number of personalities including family members of President Rodrigo Duterte as being involved in the illegal drugs trade. The PNP-CIDG relied on the testimony of Advincula who claimed “he was engaged by the respondents to spread lies against the President, his family and close associate, making them to appear as illegal trade protectors and how they earned staggering amounts of money.” However, Team Pilipinas pointed out the testimony of Advincula was not credible. The group reminded that Malacanang Spokesperson Salvador Panelo had previously questioned the credibility of Advincula for accusing members of the Duterte family in being involved in illegal drugs. “It is appalling how suddenly, Bikoy's words have credibility only because it is now against those who dissent against the administration,” it lamented. READ MORE: DOJ set to start preliminary probe on sedition, libel raps over ‘Bikoy’ videos