Luzon Newsbits
YOUTH SUMMIT
CALAUAN, Laguna — The 202nd Infantry (Unifier) Brigade 2nd Infantry Division (2ID) of the Philippine Army together with ABS-CBN Bantay Bata-163, ABS-CBN Foundation Inc. and other project partners, conducted recently a three-day Youth Leadership Summit (YLS) held at Headquarters, 202nd Brigade, Caliraya Lake in Cavinti, this province. Col. Ivan Samarita, Brigade Commander of the 202nd Brigade welcomed the 125 youth participants all the participants and guests including Ms. Tina Monzon-Palma, honored speaker and Project Director of Bantay Bata-163. (Ferdinand F. Castro)
TAG REJECTED
LINGAYEN, Pangasinan — A resolution was passed earlier this week by the Sangguniang Panlalawigan to express dismay over a declaration by the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) which includes this province in its list of 15 hot spots for the elections to be held next year. Unanimously passed by provincial solons was the resolution titled, “Expressing the deep sense of dismay and frustration in the identification of Pangasinan among the election high-risk spots in the 2013 election and seeking the immediate removal of the province from the said list by the Honorable Department of the Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas.” The SP noted that Pangasinan is a Gawad Pamana ng Lahi Award (the mother of all governance awards) awardee and known for peace and order. (Liezle Basa Iñigo)
275 INCLUDED IN GARDENING PROJECT
LUCENA CITY, Quezon — A total of 275 selected members of the Department of Social Welfare and Development’s (DSWD’s) Pantawid Pamilya Program in four towns for this province have been chosen for the provincial government’s “Halaman Pantawid Kabuhayan” project, it was learned yesterday. Those who will be trained on planting vegetables as their livelihood are from the towns of Atimonan, Pitogo, Sariaya and Tayabas, said Provincial Agriculture Officer Roberto Gajo. It is part of the Serbisyong Suarez Halaman Pantawid Kabuhayan offering of Quezon Governor David C. Suarez. (Danny Estacio)
WOMAN SHOT
ROSARIO, Cavite — A woman theft and robbery suspect was shot dead last Tuesday by a still unidentified man at Alcantara Compound in Barangay Poblacion of this town, police said Wednesday. Police Officer I Raniel W. Granado, case investigator, identified the fatality as Jennylyn Musang Mendoza, alias “Jenny,” 28, single, jobless and a resident of Barangay Biga, Tanza, Cavite. Granado said Mendoza, who had been involved in the series of theft and robbery incidents in the area, was found bloodied and lifeless by residents in the compound around 2 p.m. A further investigation is under way. (Anthony Giron)
BROWNOUT SET
VIGAN CITY, Ilocos Sur — The National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) set a 13-hour brownout affecting the whole province of Mountain Province and five towns of its nearby provinces due to the replacement of rotten poles of the Mountain Province Electric Cooperative (MOPRECO). The NGCP announced that the power interruption will start at 6 a.m. until 7 p.m. on Thursday and affect the entire Mountain Province; Tinglayan town in Kalinga province; Cervantes and Quirino towns in Ilocos Sur; and Balili and Mankayan towns in Benguet. (Freddie G. Lazaro)

