Luzon Newsbits

ABOUT MARY

December 10, 2012, 7:07pm

ABOUT MARY

TANAY, Rizal — Hundreds of devotees to the Virgin Mary trooped to a hilly sanctuary in this town to witness the dedication of the three-level chapel which is intended to gather the Catholic faithful towards God. Sister Eppie Brasil, over-all in-charge of the Regina Rosarii Institute for Contemplation in Asia (better known as Regina RICA), personally welcomed the devotees to the 1,350 square meter chapel during its dedication and consecration the other day. Antipolo Bishop Gabriel V. Reyes and the clergy from the Diocese of Antipolo and some priests belonging to the Dominican order concelebrated the holy mass and dedication rites. (Nel B. Andrade)

CAVITE ‘TURN-IN’

CAMP GARCIA, Cavite — A conference room in this camp virtually turned into a big gun shop yesterday as some local officials and civilians gave up their firearms for safekeeping in support of the initiatives of the Police Provincial Office (PPO) for Safe and Secure Elections (SAFE) in 2013. Senior Supt. Alexander D. G. Rafael, PPO director, launched what he called “Turn-In of Firearms” on the week after his assumption in office last November 22 and that many officials, including candidates for the May 13 elections, have responded to the call. The PPO has already accounted 87 licensed firearms, 28 of them handguns, voluntarily turned over to them by officials and other citizens. (Anthony Giron)

‘SAMARITAN’ CALL

MALOLOS CITY, Bulacan — Governor Wilhelmino M. Sy-Alvarado called on citizens of the province to be like the “Good Samaritan” — the Biblical character who saved the life of a stranger — and donate whatever they can to help the victims of typhoon “Pablo” which ravaged several areas in Mindanao and the Visayas last week. To set an example, Alvarado said that instead of spending money for the Christmas party of provincial government employees, they will dole out financial assistance to the victims of typhoon Pablo. His emotional appeal at yesterday’s flag ceremony at the Capitol called to mind how in 2011, help poured in from different provinces after Bulacan was ravaged by typhoons “Pedring” and “Quiel.” (Freddie C. Velez)

POSITIVE VIEW

LINGAYEN, Pangasinan — There is a positive way in looking at the listing of this province as a so-called “area of concern” in the election period by Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG), the Police Provincial Office (PPO) said yesterday. Officials of the Pangasinan PPO were one in saying that this development further boosts the operational partnership between the police and military organizations and facilitates their drive against private armed groups (PAGs). Lawyer Jennifer Balarbar of Commission on Elections (Comelec) based in San Carlos City, Pangasinan said there is now a closer coordination with the police in addressing any security concern. (Liezle Basa Iñigo)

B.H.R.A.C. UP

CAMAP NAKAR, Lucena City — The Southern Luzon Command of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (SOLCOM-AFP) will assist the Commission on Human Rights (CHR) in its mandate to establish Barangay Human Rights Action Centers (BHRACs) in all barangays in Regions 4 and 5. This was agreed upon at the four-day workshop held recently in observance of the 64th Anniversary of Universal Declaration of Human Rights here. Col. Generoso Bolina, SOLCOM spokesperson, said BHRACs will be set up in 8,515 barangays in MIMAROPA (Mindoro-Marinduque-Romblon-Palawan), CALABARZON (Cavite-Laguna-Batangas-Rizal-Quezon), and Bicol regions. (Danny Estacio)