Visayas Newsbits
I.C.C. STICKERS
I.C.C. STICKERS
CEBU CITY — An official from the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) 7 during the recent final helmet briefing bared that they will no longer issue Import Commodity Clearance (ICC) stickers or Philippine Standards (PS) marks as they have already set the deadline for the accreditation yesterday. “We will no longer accredit those old or new helmets that passed the standards but failed to reach our office for accreditation,” said DTI 7 Regional Director Asteria Caberte. Caberte bared that enough time was already given to the concerned helmet owners as the enforcement of Republic Act 10054 otherwise known as the Motorcycle Helmet Act of 2010 will take full effect next year. (Phoebe Jen Indino)
'CRACKER MONITORS
CATBALOGAN CITY, Samar — The joint forces of the city police and fire protection in Catbalogan have started regular monitoring of the firecracker vendors. According to Fire Inspector Agustin Ballo, they have started regularly monitoring on the 24th of December, the start of the selling of the firecrackers. Then on the 24th and 31st of Dec., a firetruck will be rounding the city streets to assure the public that the fire department is ready for any eventuality. At present, 21 vendors have registered with the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) for permits as compared to last year’s 26 firecracker operators. (PIA)
SAND EXTRACTION STOPPED BY GOV’T
ILOILO CITY, Iloilo — A cease and desist order has been issued to the local government unit (LGU) of Maasin, Iloilo for its alleged extraction of sand and gravel. Iloilo Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. signed the order, which the Iloilo Provincial Environment and Natural Resources Office (PENRO) delivered to Maasin LGU. Last November 15, PENRO received a complaint of alleged “hauling of sand and gravel materials” within the Tigum River and near the Caigon Bridge by dump trucks and loaders belonging to the Maasin Municipal Engineering Office. Last November 22, PENRO also received another complaint on another alleged illegal quarrying activity near the Tubang Bridge. (Tara Yap)
ROAD PROJECT
CARIGARA, Leyte (PIA) — The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) has allotted R67 million from the 2013 budget for the rehabilitation of national road sections with shattered slabs along the mountainous area of Capoocan, Leyte. District Engineer Ma. Margarita Junia made the disclosure saying the said road section is one of the busiest highways in Eastern Visayas and its rehabilitation is indeed very much needed. Junia revealed that R67 million have been set aside next year to rehabilitate a five-kilometer (km) road, damaged by overloading. (PIA)
COMELEC LIST
ILOILO CITY, Iloilo — All offices of Commission on Elections (Comelec-6) in Western Visayas are asked to submit the list of candidates for the 2013 midterm elections who have withdrawn or have been substituted. Lawyer Dennis Ausan, Comelec-6 regional director, has instructed all election officers in the provincial, city and municipal levels to collate the final list of candidates who have withdrawn their certificates of candidacy (COCs) or have been replaced. “Take note, only candidates who belong to a political party can withdraw and be replaced,” Ausan said after the December 21 deadline for withdrawal or substitution. (Tara Yap)

