Luzon Newsbits

GOLF COURSE

January 6, 2013, 4:43pm

GOLF COURSE

LINGAYEN, Pangasinan — It’s all systems go for the development of a world-class 18-hole golf course here after the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) issued last Friday the needed environmental compliance certificate (ECC) for the project site. Environmental Management Bureau (EMB) Director Juan Miguel Cuna, by authority of DENR Secretary Ramon Paje, released the ECC to Provincial Administrator Rafael Howard Baraan and Engr. Alvin Bigay, chief of the provincial housing and urban development office. Governor Amado T. Espino, Jr. said that a special team of local management planners are now reviewing investment offers under a public-private partnership (PPP) scheme. (Liezle Basa Iñigo)

BEST COUNCIL

MARIVELES, Bataan — The Sangguniang Bayan (SB) of this industrial town was adjudged as “Most Outstanding SB” for the year 2012 in the province, adding to the numerous awards the town’s leadership had received last year. The SB’s new award automatically nominates it as the best town council in the regional level, said Vice Mayor Victorian C. Isip. Isip attributed the award to the all-out support of Mayor Jesse I. Concepcion, whom he said has been working hand-in-hand with council members. (Mar T. Supnad)

QUICK SOLUTION

CAMP GEN. VICENTE LIM, Laguna — The Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) provided a quick solution to a shooting incident involving a Japanese man in Dasmariñas City recently. Senior Superintendent Bernabe Balba, CIDG Region 4-A director, announced yesterday that arrest of five suspects in the killing of Hideo Niikura, 61, on December 29 in Barangay Sta. Lucia, Dasmariñas City. In two separate operations, the CIDG nabbed Melinda Soria, alias “Melinda Niikura,” who is the widow of the slain Japanese; Gabriel Soria, Mark Anthony Soria; Gil Brown; and alleged gunman Arnold Marcos. Balba said Melinda was the alleged mastermind in the killing and that Brown had hired and paid Marcos P100,000 to do the job. (Ferdinand F. Castro)

HEALTH MISSION

CALUMPIT, Bulacan — More or less a thousand indigent residents of Bulacan benefited from the outreach program dubbed as “Lalawigan Ko’y Ikaw, Lingkod Mo ay Ako” in which medical and dental services were given for free at the Bulacan Medical Center, here. The project was relaunched by Governor Wilhelmino M. Sy-Alvarado as he turned 67 last December 29. The governor led his family and other officials in giving gifts to patients who took advantage of the free health services – one of the key programs of his administration. (Freddie C. Velez)

DEEP PROBE

DASMARIÑAS CITY, Cavite — “No stone will be left unturned.” This was the vow made by Superintendent Dionicio C. Borromeo, Police Provincial Office (PPO) deputy for administration, who said yesterday that a deep investigation is under way to catch those responsible for the rape and killing of a nine-year-old Zosiemae Magluyan. The girl, who had been missing since Christmas Day, was found lifeless last Saturday around 2:30 p.m. in Barangay San Lorenzo Ruiz II, this city, Borromeo said. While the victim’s cadaver was undergoing autopsy yesterday, probers were out looking for possible witnesses. (Anthony Giron)