By Tara Yap
ILOILO CITY – The Philippine National Police (PNP) in the Western Visayas region is set to conduct a summary hearing for Lieutenant Colonel Jovie Espenido, who allegedly defied a gag order when his name was included in the alleged narco list.
Chief Inspector Jovie Espenido
(JAY GANZON / MANILA BULLETIN FILE PHOTO) “There is probable cause ,” said Police Brigadier General Rene Pamuspusan, director of Police Regional Office (PRO-6). The Discipline, Law and Order Section (DLOS) of PRO-6 is set to assign hearing officers for the case of Espenido, who defied the order of PNP Chief General Archie Francisco Gamboa for those included in the narco list not to speak publicly. Espenido gave interviews with Visayan media last month in three separate press conferences held in Cebu City, Bacolod City and Iloilo City. In a Monday press conference, Pamuspusan surmised that Espenido just wanted to defend his name being the so-called poster boy of the Duterte administration war against illegal drugs. “As what others have pointed out, Colonel Espenido may have forgotten that he is a member of the PNP and it is more important for him to defend his dignity,” Pamupusan said in Filipino. Espendio, who was sacked as deputy police director for operations of Bacolod City Police Office (BCPO), following alleged involvement in the illegal drug trade, has earlier acknowledged the consequences of his actions. In a previous interview with the Iloilo media, Espendio said it was his “personal right” to speak while also acknowledging that he may be punished or dismissed from the service. Espenido, who has been reassigned to PRO-6, alsospoke publicly, saying he’s afraid that the government will kill him. Espenido has gained notoriety for his role in the death of then mayors Rolando Espinosa Sr. of Albuera, Leyte and Reynaldo Parojinog of Ozamiz City. Both were on the President Duterte’s list of drug protectors. Espenido’s reassignment to PRO-6 meant he is back in Iloilo City, where he was originally assigned by President Duterte in 2017 as city police director. That was the time Duterte constantly accused then mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog as narco politician. But Espenido’s assignment was cancelled because his rank did not qualify him to be a city police director.
Chief Inspector Jovie Espenido(JAY GANZON / MANILA BULLETIN FILE PHOTO) “There is probable cause ,” said Police Brigadier General Rene Pamuspusan, director of Police Regional Office (PRO-6). The Discipline, Law and Order Section (DLOS) of PRO-6 is set to assign hearing officers for the case of Espenido, who defied the order of PNP Chief General Archie Francisco Gamboa for those included in the narco list not to speak publicly. Espenido gave interviews with Visayan media last month in three separate press conferences held in Cebu City, Bacolod City and Iloilo City. In a Monday press conference, Pamuspusan surmised that Espenido just wanted to defend his name being the so-called poster boy of the Duterte administration war against illegal drugs. “As what others have pointed out, Colonel Espenido may have forgotten that he is a member of the PNP and it is more important for him to defend his dignity,” Pamupusan said in Filipino. Espendio, who was sacked as deputy police director for operations of Bacolod City Police Office (BCPO), following alleged involvement in the illegal drug trade, has earlier acknowledged the consequences of his actions. In a previous interview with the Iloilo media, Espendio said it was his “personal right” to speak while also acknowledging that he may be punished or dismissed from the service. Espenido, who has been reassigned to PRO-6, alsospoke publicly, saying he’s afraid that the government will kill him. Espenido has gained notoriety for his role in the death of then mayors Rolando Espinosa Sr. of Albuera, Leyte and Reynaldo Parojinog of Ozamiz City. Both were on the President Duterte’s list of drug protectors. Espenido’s reassignment to PRO-6 meant he is back in Iloilo City, where he was originally assigned by President Duterte in 2017 as city police director. That was the time Duterte constantly accused then mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog as narco politician. But Espenido’s assignment was cancelled because his rank did not qualify him to be a city police director.