Visayas Newsbits
HOSPITAL EXPANSION
HOSPITAL EXPANSION
CEBU CITY — In celebration of its centennial anniversary this year, the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center (VSMMC) has lined up series of activities this year that may include planning for a ten-storey twin-tower hospital expansion. Dr. Gerardo Aquino Jr., VSMMC medical chief, said that aside from the cancer center which is already in the bidding stage, they are also eyeing the construction of an extension building that will be funded by proceeds from so-called “sin taxes,” under the government’s hospital modernization plan. The building is expected to cost P5 billion which will be located on Jones Avenue within the Department of Health (DoH) 7 compound, here. (Phoebe Jen Indino)
KOREANS WANT A DIRECT FLIGHT
BACOLOD CITY, Negros Occidental — A group of Koreans on a sports activity tour in this city expressed hope over the weekend that direct flights between South Korea and this city be arranged soon. The Koreans are in town for the four-day golf games in Victorias and Marapara Golf Courses and tour of some spots in Negros Occidental. The group of 126, who traveled aboard two chartered flights, noted that their group had to make a stopover in Cebu City from their country to pass through Customs and Immigration checks before taking another flight to the Bacolod-Silay Airport. (Editha B. Colmo)
M.T.R.C.B. CAMPAIGN
ROXAS CITY, Capiz — The Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB) will be reaching out to the people of Capiz through a series of forum in the different schools in Capiz. The event, dubbed as MTRCB Forum “Para sa Matalinong Panonood ng Pamilya Nina Juan at Juana,” will be led by MTRCB Executive Director lawyer Victoriano Muring Jr. College students, including faculty members of Colegio dela Purisima Concepcion will be attending the forum on Monday, January 14, while the elementary, high school, and college students as well as the teachers of Filamer Christian University will be having the same in the afternoon of same date, MTRCB Administrative Assistant Jesusa Lorenzo said. (PIA)
COMELEC RULING SOUGHT ON BRGY.
BACOLOD CITY, Negros Occidental — Acting on the request of the Convenors of Barangay Paglaum, the Sangguniang Panlungsod of Bacolod City resolved to request the Commission on Elections (Comelec) en Banc to expedite its ruling on the creation of the new barangay. The Comelec ruling has been sought after the Barangay Paglaum Convenors who filed the motion for reconsideration for the establishment of their barangay. They are supported by Caesar Z. Distrito, author of the Barangay Paglaum Ordinance. (Editha B. Como)
CONSTRUCTION COMPLETED
PALO, Leyte — Notwithstanding the challenges of frequent rains last year, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) completed a total of 311 out of the 327 projects in Eastern Visayas. DPWH Region 8 Director Rolando M. Asis said this was a very substantial accomplishment given the weather disturbances in the region. Asis said that among the high impact project prioritized in 2012 was the Samar Pacific Coastal Road connecting Eastern Samar and Northern Samar. Others were the Palompon-Libongao-Matag-ob Road in Western Leyte, the Calbayog Diversion Road in Samar, Catbalogan Diversion Road in Samar, and the Ormoc Diversion Road in Western Leyte. (PIA)

