Luzon Newsbits
KALINGA FIESTA
KALINGA FIESTA
TABUK CITY, Kalinga — Silent drill, acrobatic show, ballet performance and the Gangnam style dance craze will be new attractions in the upcoming 18th Kalinga Province Founding Anniversary and Ullalim Festival 2013 scheduled on February 14-17, in this capital town. During the Kalinga Provincial Development Council meeting presided by Governor Jocel Baac at the Grand Zion Hotel, the body was presented with these new attractions which will be a first time for the province of Kalinga and for the Ullalim festival celebration. Provincial Administrator Grace Kidang-Flores said that the Philippine National Police Academy particularly its Silent Drill Squad and Band has been invited to be among the performers. (PIA)
FIREARMS SEIZED
MARIVELES, Bataan — The Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) in Bataan arrested yesterday a gun ban violator in Barangay Balon Anito, this town. Chief Inspector Melchor Cantil, CIDG provincial officer, said a raid conducted by his men resulted in the arrest of Asislo Martinez and the confiscation of a shotgun from his residence. Last week, Cantil’s men seized one Magnum 22 machine pistol; a .22-caliber rifle and ammunition from the residence of a certain Rolando Sangalang and Thelma Sangalang in Sitio Toto, Barangay Cupang, Balanga City. (Mar T. Supnad)
COMELEC TAKES NOTE OF PEACE
DAGUPAN CITY, Pangasinan — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) office in this province noted yesterday that election period, which started last January 13, has been peaceful in this supposed “area of concern” so far. Comelec Provincial Officer Marino Salas issued the statement after meeting with newly-installed officer-in-charge of the Police Provincial Office (PPO), Senior Superintendent Marlou Chan. It will be recalled that the province was visited recently by Comelec Chairman Sixto Brillantes to see personally monitor the political climate in this province. (Liezle Basa Iñigo)
NEW SCHOOL
BACOOR CITY, Cavite — Residents of Barangay Molino 3 especially the parents residing in Camella Springville subdivision were delighted with the recent groundbreaking of the eight-classroom building initiated by the city government. Khei Sanchez, information chief and currently president of the Cavite Communicators Network (CCN), said all the needed documents including permits are being processed to fast start the construction of the school building. Sanchez added that the construction of additional school building is part of the priority programs/projects initiated by the city government under Mayor Strike Revilla. (PIA)
HEALTH ALERT
SANTIAGO CITY, Isabela — This city’s health office has registered 233 patients with upper respiratory disease due to the cold weather affecting the city these days. The Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) had registered a cold 16.5 degrees Celsius in the city in previous days that has affected the respiratory system of the residents mostly children, with cough and colds. Ramoncito Bayang, assistant city health officer, said most of the patients are children aged 12 years old and below and these population are easily afflicted with the disease while there are still cases coming in from rural health units. The city health official advised the public to always practice daily personal hygiene and eating of nutritious foods to strengthen the immune system against colds and coughs. (PIA)

