Luzon Newsbits

Shooter's Aide Pleads 'Not Guilty'

February 4, 2013, 6:09pm

IMUS, Cavite — John Paul M. Lopez Jr., the alleged aide of slain random shooter Ronald B. Bae, pleaded “not guilty” to murder charges at his arraignment yesterday at a regional trial court (RTC) here. Lopez, 27, made the plea as the seven counts of murder, 11 counts of frustrated murder, three counts of attempted murder, and a violation of Republic Act 9165 (anti-drug law) were read out by the clerk of court before RTC Branch 22 Judge Gloria Butay Aglugub. Lopez is being charged as an accomplice of the drug-crazed Bae when he went on a shooting rampage that killed seven people in Barangay Tabon I, Kawit, this province, last January 4. (Anthony Giron)

REBEL FIREARMS

CAMP DELA CRUZ, Isabela — Government troops seized high-powered firearms, various communication equipment, and subversive documents at the site of their encounter with the New People’s Army (NPA) in Barangay Cayapa, Lagangilang, Abra last week, the military reported yesterday. The team from the 41st Infantry Battalion led by 1Lt. Ronnel E. Legarde were engaged in battle by some 30 armed NPA rebels under the Kilusang Larangang Guerilla (KLG) North at 9:45 a.m. last January 30 when they proceeded to the area to verify complaints of extortion. There were no casualties in the clash which lasted three hours and ended in the rebels’ retreat. (Freddie G. Lazaro)

RIZAL’S KNIGHT

MALOLOS CITY, Bulacan — Governor Wilhelmino M. Sy-Alvarado was conferred the Knight Grand Officer of Rizal title at the “Day of Prayer” gathering at the Capitol Gymnasium, here, yesterday. For emulating and practicing the legacy of national hero Gat Jose Rizal, the Knights of Rizal conferred on Alvarado the rank of “Knight Commander of Rizal” or “Knight Grand Officer of Rizal” and as such will now carry the title Sir Wilhelmino M. Sy-Alvarado. Leading the conferment rites were Sir Jeremias C. Singson, KGORD Deputy Supreme Commander. Awarded the Distinguished Service Star were Rizal Knights Sir Benito T. Ramos, Sir Mariano C. de Jesus, Sir Daniel S. Ortega, and Sir Ramon G. Santos. (Freddie C. Velez)

GOOD PRACTICES

CITY OF SAN FERNANDO, Pampanga — The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) regional office signed recently an agreement on voluntary code of good practices (VCGP) with three industrial tripartite councils (ITCs) in Tarlac City. This is in line with the DOLE’s efforts to foster and maintain the industrial peace among companies in Central Luzon through its advocacy on good practices on voluntary compliance to labor standards and occupational safety and health standards. (PIA)

MAGNITUDE 4.5 QUAKE HITS BAGUIO

A magnitude 4.5 earthquake jolted parts of Baguio City on Monday afternoon, according to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs). In its bulletin, the agency said the quake occurred at 3:16 p.m. with its epicenter traced at 13 kilometers southeast of Baguio City. Phivolcs said the tectonic quake had a depth of 12 kilometers. Intensity 2 was also recorded in the town of Agoo and San Fernando City, both in La Union. The agency said no damage was reported and aftershocks are not expected as well but classes on all levels were suspended for the day. (PNA)