Luzon Newsbits

DRIVER CHARGED

February 12, 2013, 5:49pm

TANAY, Rizal — The driver of the tourist bus which figured in an accident killing a teenage girl and wounding another at Camp Capinpin here on February 8 has been slapped with criminal charges yesterday morning. Carlos Villanueva, 63, of Sampaloc, Manila is now facing charges of reckless imprudence resulting in homicide, physical injury and damage to property following his inquest at the Prosecutor’s Office. Villanueva was the driver who left the tourist bus parked on an inclined road, which moved downhill and ran over Rio Bianca “Cacai” Ramirez, 14, a student of Holy Spirit Academy while on a field trip at Camp Capinpin here. (Nel B. Andade)

CEILING YIELDS 2 ROB SUSPECTS

BALANGA CITY, Bataan — Police arrested the other day two suspects in a daring R1-million robbery at a commercial center, here. Superintendent Joel Tampis, city police chief, reported that Romar Artajo of San Jose, this city, and John Patrick Cruz of Manahan, Tenejero, here, were caught by police hiding in the ceiling of the Six Brothers and Sherlyn Anne and General Merchandize on Condo Mart in Poblacion, here. Probers said the store was in total disarray and at least R1-million worth of merchandise had been missing. As police searched the area for clues, they found the suspects hiding in the ceiling with the merchandise, Tampis said. (Mar T. Supnad)

WATER SUPPLY

BAYOMBONG, Nueva Vizcaya — More than 250 families residing in different Gawad Kalinga (GK) communities in this province will benefit Communal Potable Water Source Project of the provincial government here, the provincial information office said Tuesday. The R560,000 Communal Potable Water Source Project serves as one of the major components of ideal GK community to ensure the healthy well-being of every family through the provision of safe drinking water. The potable water systems projects are now being started in several GK sites which was earlier funded and approved by the provincial government. (Mark Anthony N. Manuel)

P5-M FIRE HITS LAGUNA SCHOOL

SAN PEDRO, Laguna — An estimated R5 million worth of properties was destroyed Monday night when a fire razed a Montessori school in Pacita 1 Complex, Barangay San Vicente, this town. Supt. Chito Bersaluna, San Pedro police chief, said the fire took place around 9 p.m. at Casa Del Niño Elementary School on 17th Street, Phase 6, Pacita 1 Complex, here. The fire reached 2nd alarm before firefighters declared fire out at 9:40 p.m. Arson probers are still investigating occupants of a vacant lot at the back of the school where the fire reportedly started. (Ferdinand F. Castro)

JAPANESE FRIENDS

CITY OF MALOLOS, Bulacan — Officials of this province expressed yesterday their gratitude to a Japanese foundation whose humanitarian initiatives continues to touch and save lives in Bulacan and elsewhere. They thanked the Shiraki Memorial Foundation, led by its administrator Stanley K. Togikawa, for donating high-tech medical equipment to Bulacan Medical Center. Bulacan Gov. Wilhelmino M. Sy-Alvarado personally thanked Togikawa and his wife, who also represented the Rotary Club of Ala Moana in Hawaii, for their humanitarian spirit. (Freddie C. Velez)