By Jeffrey Damicog
No one has expressed opposition against five of the candidates vying for the vacant chief justice (CJ) post at the Supreme Court (SC).
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra
(TOTO LOZANO/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN) “No complaints or reports from the public pertaining to the five nominees for the SC CJ position had been received by the JBC (Judicial and Bar Council) secretariat,” said Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra who is also an ex- officio member of the JBC. There are only five candidates vying for the chief justice post and they are SC Associate Justices Antonio Carpio, Diosdado Peralta, Lucas Bersamin, Estela Perlas-Bernabe, and Andres Reyes Jr. Earlier, the JBC announced that “the public may submit a sworn complaint, report, or opposition against any of the aforesaid candidates.” The JBC gave the public until Thursday (Nov. 15) to file any opposition against the candidates. The JBC opened the application for the position of chief justice last October 1 due to the Oct. 10 retirement of Chief Justice Teresita Leonardo-De Castro. The JBC earlier had the deadline set for Oct. 15 but decided to extend it up to Oct. 26 for the submission of applications for the vacant post. Meanwhile, Guevarra said the JBC has come up with a shortlist of candidates for another vacant post at the SC. Those in the shortlist are all justices of the Court of Appeals (CA), namely, Manuel Barrios who received six votes from the JBC; Japar Dimaampao, six votes; Ramon Garcia, six votes; Edgardo De Los Santos, six votes; Apolinario Bruselas Jr., six votes; Amy Javier, six votes; Rosemari Carandang, five votes. The shortlist is for the SC position vacated by De Castro when she got appointed as chief justice.
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra(TOTO LOZANO/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN) “No complaints or reports from the public pertaining to the five nominees for the SC CJ position had been received by the JBC (Judicial and Bar Council) secretariat,” said Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra who is also an ex- officio member of the JBC. There are only five candidates vying for the chief justice post and they are SC Associate Justices Antonio Carpio, Diosdado Peralta, Lucas Bersamin, Estela Perlas-Bernabe, and Andres Reyes Jr. Earlier, the JBC announced that “the public may submit a sworn complaint, report, or opposition against any of the aforesaid candidates.” The JBC gave the public until Thursday (Nov. 15) to file any opposition against the candidates. The JBC opened the application for the position of chief justice last October 1 due to the Oct. 10 retirement of Chief Justice Teresita Leonardo-De Castro. The JBC earlier had the deadline set for Oct. 15 but decided to extend it up to Oct. 26 for the submission of applications for the vacant post. Meanwhile, Guevarra said the JBC has come up with a shortlist of candidates for another vacant post at the SC. Those in the shortlist are all justices of the Court of Appeals (CA), namely, Manuel Barrios who received six votes from the JBC; Japar Dimaampao, six votes; Ramon Garcia, six votes; Edgardo De Los Santos, six votes; Apolinario Bruselas Jr., six votes; Amy Javier, six votes; Rosemari Carandang, five votes. The shortlist is for the SC position vacated by De Castro when she got appointed as chief justice.