Luzon Newsbits

Pamana Roads

February 17, 2013, 5:05pm

BONTOC, Mt. Province — Road projects worth P103 million, under the expanded Payapa at Masaganang Pamayanan (Pamana) program of the government, are set for implementation this year in this province. Local Government Director Anthony Ballug identified the approved projects as: Besao–Tubo, Abra road opening with funding of P50 million; improvement of the Bontoc–Mainit Road – P20 million; improvement of the Natonin-Toboy Road – P20 million; Betwagan Access Road in Sadanga – P6 million, and the improvement of the Poblacion, Paracelis-Marat Road in Paracelis - P7 milion. Ballug said the road projects in Betwagan, Sadanga, and Paracelis have already started implementation. (PIA)

COPS ARREST 2 WANTED MEN

LINGAYEN, Pangasinan — The Pangasinan Police Provincial Office (PPO) intensified its campaign against wanted persons and arrested an alleged rapist in Bayambang and a suspected robber in San Manuel, recently. Senior Supterintendent Marlou Chan, PPO officer-in-charge, said Charlie E. Loranza, of legal age, was nabbed at 8 a.m. last Saturday in Barangay Balayubuaya in Bayambang to face four counts of rape charges before the Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 68 in Lingayen. A day earlier, police also nabbed Anthony B. Bambalan for a case of robbery at the Juan C. Laya National High School in San Manuel. (Liezle Basa Iñigo)

REFORESTATION

LUCENA CITY, Quezon — Multi-sectoral organizations kicked-off the initial phase for the rehabilitation of Mt., Bahanaw in a program called “Greening Mount Banahaw” along the ridges of the so-called holy mountain at the portion of Lucban town. Southern Luzon State University (SLSU) president Dr. Cecilia Gascon, said the stewardship was granted for the rehabilitation of Mt. Banahaw for 25 years, starting this year 2013 until by the year 2032. Ten consortium organizations from government and non-government organizations composed of more than 400 individuals climbed the mountain to plant 3,000 seedlings of native species. (Danny Estacio)

CRIMES UNSETTLE RESIDENTS IN CAVITE

CAMP GARCIA, Cavite — The robbery and shooting incidents occurring here recently seem to be unstoppable amid tighter security enforced for the campaign and election season, residents said over the weekend. Cavite Police Provincial Office (PPO) records showed that there were at least four reports of robbery incidents in the area on Thursday (Valentine’s Day) and Friday and two fatal shooting incidents in the province on Wednesday and Thursday. Most shocking was the case of a woman abducted in Bacoor City and later found dead in Trece Martires City. (Anthony Giron)

5 CHARGED

CAMP JUAN, Ilocos Norte — Five suspects were charged with frustrated murder before the Provincial Prosecutor’s Office over the shooting of lawyer Ramon Leaño, dean of the College of Law at the Mariano Marcos State University (MMSU) in Barangay Quiling, Batac City, last week. Superintendent Jeffrey Gorospe, Ilocos Norte Police Provincial Office (PPO) director, identified the suspects as Reynaldo Pagatpatan, 32, an active member of Citizens Armed Forces Geographical Unit (CAFGU); Joemar Quezada, 24; Christopher Agunat, Abet Valdez, and Jimmy Yala. They were all charged with frustrated murder over the attack on Leaño last Thursday. (Freddie G. Lazaro)