421-strong contingent sent to Saudi Arabia to fetch distressed OFWs
By Martin Sadongdong
SOUTH HARBOR, Manila -- The Philippine Navy (PN) deployed Tuesday a 421-strong contingent to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia to assist in the repatriation of distressed overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) in the Middle East as tension remains imminent between Iran and the United States.
Philippine Navy (MANILA BULLETIN)
President Duterte oversaw the deployment of Naval Task Group 82 led by Capt. Edward Ike de Sagon at Pier 13.
He was accompanied by Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana, Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Felimon Santos Jr., and Navy flag officer in command Vice Admiral Robert Empedrad.
Duterte, in his message to the contingent, said the lives of Filipinos in the Middle East amid the tension are of utmost importance, hence the repatriation mission.
"I ask with a prayer that you carry out this mission successfully," Duterte said. "I hope that this mission will succeed. Do not worry, I will be with you. If need be, punta rin ako kung magkapahirapan (I will also go there if things become difficult)."
The task group, composed of sailors and marines, boarded BRP Davao del Sur (LD602), one of the largest sea vessels of the Navy, and BRP Ramon Alcaraz (PS16), which has the modern capability to provide the needed security for the team.
According to Empedrad, the contingent is expected to reach Jeddah in 25 days or on Feb. 8, with a layover in Sri Lanka for refueling and replenishment.
"The deployment of NTG 82 is in support to the AFP Joint Task Force mission in the Middle East and in line with the inter-agency undertaking Oplan Pagbabalik (Return)," he said.
Duterte has ordered the enforcement of Oplan Pagbabalik, the primary objective of which is to save lives and ensure the safety of OFWs in Iran, Iraq, and other areas in the Middle East through repatriation.
"This deployment of PN personnel and assets manifests an advancing navy that is now capable to provide humanitarian assistance for our fellow Filipinos wherever they are in the world," Empedrad said.
The Philippine government chose Jeddah as a docking point for the troops since it is relatively safe there.
OFWs from Iraq, Iran, Libya and other countries in the Middle East were advised to coordinate with the Philippine embassies and consulates in their areas so that they can be rescued through the repatriation mission.
Assets
BRP Davao del Sur, with a capacity of 500 to 700 persons, carries four units of landing craft boats as sea support, while BRP Ramon Alcaraz, with a 200-person capacity, has an AgustaWestland AW109 power naval helicopter for air support.
BRP Ramon Alcaraz is equipped with navigational radars, short-range mortars, an Mk 75 Oto Melara 76mm compact gun, two Mk 38 Mod 2 25mm autocannons, and four M2HB Browning .50 caliber machine guns to secure the contingent.
"LD602 and PS16 will serve as sea-based platforms that can provide decent accommodation and necessities for OFWs displaced by the looming conflict in the Middle East," Empedrad said.
Heightened tension between Iran and United States remains after the death of General Qassem Soleimani, a top Iranian general, who was killed Jan. 3 at Baghdad airport in a drone strike ordered by U.S. President Donald Trump.
In retaliation, Iran fired dozens of missiles at a U.S. military base in Iraq.
Meanwhile, a Ukranian commercial flight passing over Iran's airspace crashed after it was reportedly hit by the missile firing. Iran said the firing was "unintentional."
Since then, the tension between the two countries appeared to have de-escalated although the situation in the Middle East remains volatile.
WATCH:
Philippine Navy (MANILA BULLETIN)
President Duterte oversaw the deployment of Naval Task Group 82 led by Capt. Edward Ike de Sagon at Pier 13.
He was accompanied by Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana, Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Felimon Santos Jr., and Navy flag officer in command Vice Admiral Robert Empedrad.
Duterte, in his message to the contingent, said the lives of Filipinos in the Middle East amid the tension are of utmost importance, hence the repatriation mission.
"I ask with a prayer that you carry out this mission successfully," Duterte said. "I hope that this mission will succeed. Do not worry, I will be with you. If need be, punta rin ako kung magkapahirapan (I will also go there if things become difficult)."
The task group, composed of sailors and marines, boarded BRP Davao del Sur (LD602), one of the largest sea vessels of the Navy, and BRP Ramon Alcaraz (PS16), which has the modern capability to provide the needed security for the team.
According to Empedrad, the contingent is expected to reach Jeddah in 25 days or on Feb. 8, with a layover in Sri Lanka for refueling and replenishment.
"The deployment of NTG 82 is in support to the AFP Joint Task Force mission in the Middle East and in line with the inter-agency undertaking Oplan Pagbabalik (Return)," he said.
Duterte has ordered the enforcement of Oplan Pagbabalik, the primary objective of which is to save lives and ensure the safety of OFWs in Iran, Iraq, and other areas in the Middle East through repatriation.
"This deployment of PN personnel and assets manifests an advancing navy that is now capable to provide humanitarian assistance for our fellow Filipinos wherever they are in the world," Empedrad said.
The Philippine government chose Jeddah as a docking point for the troops since it is relatively safe there.
OFWs from Iraq, Iran, Libya and other countries in the Middle East were advised to coordinate with the Philippine embassies and consulates in their areas so that they can be rescued through the repatriation mission.
Assets
BRP Davao del Sur, with a capacity of 500 to 700 persons, carries four units of landing craft boats as sea support, while BRP Ramon Alcaraz, with a 200-person capacity, has an AgustaWestland AW109 power naval helicopter for air support.
BRP Ramon Alcaraz is equipped with navigational radars, short-range mortars, an Mk 75 Oto Melara 76mm compact gun, two Mk 38 Mod 2 25mm autocannons, and four M2HB Browning .50 caliber machine guns to secure the contingent.
"LD602 and PS16 will serve as sea-based platforms that can provide decent accommodation and necessities for OFWs displaced by the looming conflict in the Middle East," Empedrad said.
Heightened tension between Iran and United States remains after the death of General Qassem Soleimani, a top Iranian general, who was killed Jan. 3 at Baghdad airport in a drone strike ordered by U.S. President Donald Trump.
In retaliation, Iran fired dozens of missiles at a U.S. military base in Iraq.
Meanwhile, a Ukranian commercial flight passing over Iran's airspace crashed after it was reportedly hit by the missile firing. Iran said the firing was "unintentional."
Since then, the tension between the two countries appeared to have de-escalated although the situation in the Middle East remains volatile.
WATCH: