By Argyll Cyrus Geducos
Malacañang is not taking a step back in asserting the country's rights over the Spratlys, reminding China that the Philippines won the arbitral ruling in 2016.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo made the statement after China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson Lu Kang maintained that Spratlys, which China calls the Nansha Islands, are with Chinese territory.
China is insisting that they have sufficient historical and legal basis to support their claim that Spratlys is theirs.
In a statement Friday evening, Panelo said that while the government agrees with China that the dispute can be settled peacefully, it is already known that Spratlys belongs to the Philippines.
"We concur with the Chinese official's statement that the dispute can be best threshed out through peaceful negotiation and consultation between the two countries just as it will strengthen the Philippines-China relationship towards a solid partnership beneficial to Filipino and Chinese communities," he said.
"The arbitral ruling, however, has already been rendered and we remain steadfast in maintaining our claims with respect to our territory and exclusive economic zones pursuant not only to the said arbitral judgment based on accepted principles of public international law but consistent with the directives of our Constitution and the aspirations of the Filipino people," he added.
Panelo then emphasized that China should stop performing acts that would disrupt the peace in the disputed waters.
"It is our principled stand that the peace in the West Philippine Sea should be maintained and that China should avoid performing acts that will place at risk the Filipino fishermen fishing in the disputed areas and at the same time cause irritants that will disrupt the current friendly relations of the two countries as well as imperil future bilateral negotiations on matters of mutual concern," he said.
This week, Panelo said China should get out of Philippine-occupied islands for they have no business being there. He added that the government would be filing another diplomatic protest against China should they refuse to get out.
" Because they cannot be intruding in our territorial property. They will know that we are against it. That we will not allow it. That we will not tolerate such presence in our territory," Panelo said.
"They should . They have no business being there," he added.
Last week, President Duterte told China to lay off Pag-asa Island in the West Philippine Sea, saying the narrative will change once something bad happens to Filipinos there.
"Let us be friends but do not touch Pag-asa Island and the rest. Otherwise, things would be different. This is not a warning, this is just a word of advice to my friends kasi kaibigan tayo ng (because we are a friend of) China," he said.
Duterte also said he will not hesitate to shed blood if the Chinese would harm Filipinos in the Pag-asa Island.
"So nakikiusap ako (I am asking you). I will not plead or beg, but I am just telling you that lay off the Pag-asa because may mga sundalo ako diyan. 'Pag 'yan ang ginalaw ninyo, ibang istorya na 'yan (I have soldiers there. If you harm them, then that is a different story now)," he said.