Sarah Nominated For Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards

By Crispina Martinez-Belen
March 6, 2013, 2:15pm

Pop Princess Sarah Geronimo has been nominated in the 2013 Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards, which recognizes talents in the various fields of entertainment. It is a project of the popular TV network for children. Sarah is entered in the “Favorite Asian Act” category and will be pitted against the hottest artists in the region, including Korean singer-rapper Psy, the Chinese singer-actor Han Geng and the Malaysian singer Shila Amzah.

A press statement from The Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards describes Sarah as “a multi-awarded, multi-platinum recording artist, a TV and movie star…an inspiration to young people and adults alike. She’s a true Philippine superstar for the 21st century!”

According to the ABS-CBN website, the list of nominees in this year Kids’ Choice Awards reads like a who’s who of global megastars. It includes Selena Gomez (Favorite TV Actress), Johnny Depp (Favorite Movie Actor), Jennifer Lawrence (Favorite Movie Actress), Taylor Swift (Favorite Voice from an Animated Movie), Chris Hemsworth (Favorite Male Buttkicker), Anne Hathaway (Favorite Female Buttkicker), Julia Roberts (Favorite Villain), Justin Bieber (Favorite Male Singer), and Katy Perry (Favorite Female Singer).

The awards night will be on March 23 at the Galen Center in Los Angeles, California. It will be shown on Philippine TV on April 6.

Wenn V. Deramas will be directing Sarah’s new show, a drama anthology that will start airing on March 10.

Sarah has a heavy schedule this year, said the head of Viva Films, Boss Vic del Rosario. “Last year, she focused on concerts and albums. This year she will concentrate on acting.” Sarah is one of the coaches in the Philippine version of “The Voice.”

Then she’ll be shooting her third movie with John Lloyd Cruz, “It Takes A Man and A Woman,” for release on March 30. There’s also a horror film being considered for her, but the biggest event will be her 10th anniversary concert.

• • •

Richard Yap, A Late Bloomer

Richard Yap at 45 is indeed a late bloomer! But of course, it’s not his fault. He was already 44 (that was last year only) when he was “discovered” as an actor. Because he never dreamt of becoming an actor, not in his wildest dreams did he ever think he could be one, so you could also call him an “accidental actor.”

Richard, who comes from Cebu like Kim Chiu, his co-star in “My Binondo Girl” for which he started making a name as a TV actor, was a commercial model while working as production manager of a furniture company here in Manila.

“One day, I got a call from a friend who is a friend of the production manager of ‘My Binondo Girl,’ and he told me they were looking for a Chinese guy to play a role in ‘Binondo Girl.’ Why don’t you audition? He asked me. I said, ‘sigurado ka?’ I was hesitant because I had no experience in acting, and besides I was already 44,” Richard related.

He was taken for the role and since then, his popularity has soared.

“’Yung role ko, di ko alam na lalaki nang ganun and I am very thankful na naging successful ang ‘My Binondo Girl.’”

Richard became even more popular with the success of the morning show “Be Careful With My Heart” where he plays Richard Lim, owner of an aviation company, and where he is teamed up with Jodi Sta. Maria who calls her “Ser Chief.” There is a plan to make a movie as a continuation of “Be Careful With My Heart,” Richard revealed. “But plano pa lang, maybe after we come back from our European tour.”

Supportive Wife

Richard is very luck to have a very supportive wife, who now dedicates all her time to their family, although “panego-negosyo siya paminsan-minsan,” Richard said. They have two kids, one girl, 15, and one boy, 9.

Isn’t she jealous of his success and the girls he is paired with? “No, she is secure in my love for her. Actually, she advises me on things… like sinasabi niya, maghugas ka at mag-toothbrush before your kissing scene…”

In their European tour, Richard will bring with him his wife and children. As to Jodi, she’s going to bring her son Thirdy Lacson.

• • •

Mel Villena Plays At Inaanak’s Wedding

If you happen to have a musician for a ninong, you’re likely to have received a priceless gift: Music.

On her wedding day Erica Cortez and her beau, Alfred Araullo, were regaled with a special performance by Mel Villena, one of the principal sponsors. The musician, composer and musical director, dubbed “Mega Mel,” played the clarinet while Erica’s parents, Ric and Elise Cortez, sang Al Green’s 1970s’ hit, “Let’s Stay Together,” during the reception. Accompanying Mel on guitar was the bride’s brother and cord sponsor, Fredric Cortez.

Mel is also Erica’s baptismal godfather and her mom’s contemporary at the UP College of Music.

• • •

Tidbits: Happy b-day greetings today, March 7, go to Gerald Anderson, Ms. Carmen Pateña, Tom Apacible, Leo Martinez, Rica Peralejo, Nora Robles, Francis Choy, Dr. Johnny Labodahon, Karylle Abigail Adao, Engr. Jay Paul Galino, Tomas B. Medina, Charlotte Quiambao-Pascual, Perpetua C. Plastina, Carmen Bautista, Veronica R. Samio, Ella Mae Saison and Tong Payumo, former SMBA chair…