Dengue surge in Caraga: 17 dead, 3,313 downed
Butuan City/Cagayan De Oro City, Misamis Oriental — Dengue is now a “surging disease” that has claimed 17 deaths and downed over 3,300 people in the Caraga Region, health authorities warned, as one of its cities, Tandag in Surigao del Sur, declared a state of calamity yesterday.
The Sangguniang Panlungsod (SP or City Council) of Tandag has the city under a state of calamity in the wake of rising dengue cases recorded in 18 of its 21 barangays.
SP Resolution No. 130 series of 2014 stated that the number of cases in the city, “although no fatality was reported,” has dramatically increased to 81.2 percent as compared to the same period last year from January 1 to August 2.
Reports coming from various health units stated that the total number of registered dengue cases in the city now rose to 271.
Tagged as “hot spots” for the disease are Barangays Telaje and Mabua, and clustering of cases in Barangays Bag-ong Lungsod, Bongtud, Dagocdoc, San Agustin Sur and Rosario.”
With the declaration, former mayor and now City Administrator Alexander Pimentel, said the calamity fund can be used to address the cost in combating the dreaded disease.
As of press time, Tandag City Mayor Roxanne Pimentel is spearheading the all-out anti-dengue campaign Aksiyon Barangay Kontra Dengue (ABKD) in reported hot spot areas and other barangays in the city.
Meanwhile, health authorities in Northeastern Mindanao (Caraga region) labeled the disease as “surging” and called for a unified approach by all sectors to stop its spread.
Meanwhile, regional health authorities recorded 17 deaths and 3,313 residents downed by dengue from January 1 to August 2 this year.
Sunshine Alipayo, regional information officer of the Department of Health in Region 13 or Caraga (DOH-13), said the death toll is a 60 percent rise from the same period last year.
“It has an increasing number of cases for consecutive weeks in hot spot areas, based in the close monitoring of the DOH 13 Regional Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (RESU),” Alipayo said.
The provincial government of Misamis Oriental also expressed deep concern over the surging cases of dengue in the province, after the Office of Vice Governor Jose Mari Pelaez received a steady stream of parents coming from Gingoog City seeking financial assistance for their children who were confined in different hospitals in Cagayan de Oro City.
Pelaez said all of those who visited his office come from low-income families, whose hospital bills reached beyond a hundred thousand pesos.
As of July 26, Gingoog City reported a total of 233 cases with two deaths, compared to last year’s 143 cases, or a 62-percent increase.