DSWD to turn over 1,200 houses to ‘Pablo’ victims
Some 1,200 permanent shelter units will be turned over to families whose houses were totally damaged by typhoon Pablo in Davao Oriental and Compostela Valley last year.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) in partnership with the provincial governments of Davao Oriental and Compostela Valley will turnover some 1,266 permanent shelter units to the affected families.
The houses were constructed through the DSWD Modified Shelter Assistance Program (MSAP).
Pablo hit the Philippines in 2012 and caused massive destruction in the provinces of Davao Oriental and Compostela Valley on December 4, triggering more than 100,000 people to evacuate, and killing at least 1,000 people. It also recorded the most damage in infrastructure and agriculture in Philippine history at P42.2 billion.
To date, the department has constructed 742 units in Banganga, Boston, and Cateel in Davao Oriental, as well as 524 units in Compostela, New Bataan, Monkayo, Montevista, and Laak in Compostela Valley.
Last Tuesday, the DSWD and Davao Oriental provincial government led by Governor Cora Malanyaon initially awarded Titles and Certificates of Occupancy to 53 families in the Better Living Village in Barangay Madre De Cacao in Cateel town.
The turnover of housing units in other areas will eventually follow within the month, the DSWD said.
“One year seemed too short to regain some semblance of normalcy and healing from our ‘Pablo’ experience, yet, we have done and achieved so much,” Malanyaon said during the first year commemoration of the onslaught of typhoon Pablo last December 4.
“All these would not have been possible without the unstinting and dedicated support of our partner agencies, both national and international, government and private,” she aded.