Govt to hire 20,000 in emergency job program
The government will hire up to 20,000 workers displaced by super typhoon Yolanda as part of its emergency employment program, the International Labor Organization said Sunday.
In a statement, ILO regional director for the Asia and the Pacific Yoshiteru Uramoto said the government was able to increase the number of workers by getting more funding for the program, including P9.148 million in donations from the ILO and P7 million from the private sector.
Earlier, the Department of Labor and Employment said it would be able to hire 18,000 workers under its program.
The government’s temporary cash-for-work program will pay workers to help clear and repair damaged structures.
Each participant will be given the minimum wage, personal protective gear, occupational safety and health training, accident insurance, PhilHealth coverage and skills training.
Uramoto, who visited typhoon-ravaged Leyte, last week, commended the program, saying it will play a big role in protecting displaced workers from unscrupulous employers and contributing to the fast recovery of affected areas.
providing more assistance to the Philippine government.