Lesser work-related injuries, illnesses in 2013—DOLE
June 1, 2014
Manila, Philippines — The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) registered a slight decline in the amount of billions of disbursed financial compensation for work-related injuries and illnesses for 2013 compared to its previous year.
In a statement, DOLE Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz said the Employees’ Compensation Commission (ECC) has registered only around P1.04 billion of employees’ compensation (EC) benefits for its 258,904 beneficiaries last year.
“Compared to 2012 where benefits were at P1,064,100,584.00 for 267,248 claims, the total benefits granted for 2013 is 2.15 percent lower,” Baldoz said.
Baldoz attributed this to DoLE’s intensified campaign to promote workplace safety.
“Although there are many factors affecting the lower number of claims, it may be a result of a better campaign on work hazard prevention by DOLE in 2013,” Baldoz said.
DOLE earlier said it has recorded a decreasing trend in the number of recorded accidents for the mining and construction sector, which are considered as the most hazardous work for the employees in the country, since 2009 due to its new occupational safety and health programs.
ECC, which is an attached agency of DOLE, said majority or about 250,000 of the beneficiaries in the previous year came from the private sector.
They were awarded through the Social Security System (SSS) with an estimated P980 million worth of EC benefits, most of which were for claims of death and pension benefits and claims for sicknesses benefits.
Meanwhile, the ECC said it only awarded around P57 million EC claims through the Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) for 7,165 workers in the public sector and uniformed personnel.
Most of the claims were for death and pension benefits and claims for disability benefits. (Samuel Medenilla)