Mindanao newsbits for March 4, 2014 | Manila Bulletin | Latest Breaking News | News Philippines
Home  » News » Provincial » Mindanao newsbits for March 4, 2014

Mindanao newsbits for March 4, 2014

Peace Update

Cotabato City – The Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) expressed elation over two latest events it hailed as “bolstering” the MILF peace overtures with the government for the establishment of a Bangsamoro new autonomous political entity in the south. One of the two events was the recent call of Maguindanao Gov. Esmael “Toto” Mangudadatu for higher authorities to reinvestigate and possibly dismiss some “whimsical” criminal charges filed by his detained predecessor Andal Ampatuan Sr. against MILF combatants opposed to the latter’s political policies. The other event was the conference cum reunion between MILF Chairman Hadji Murad Ebrahim and his comrades in then undivided Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF). (Ali Macabalang)

 

Free Registration

TAGUM CITY – The local government here through the City Civil Registrar Office (CCRO) conducted a free birth registration for all Tagumeños on Thursday at the Tagum City Pavilion where 1,200 residents availed of the program. Aside from the free birth registration, the CCRO also tapped the National Statistics Office for a mobile authenticating process for copies of birth, marriage, and death certificates. According to City Civil Registrar Flordeliza Zulueta, the one-day activity is beneficial to Tagumeños who need not to go to the National Statistics Office in Davao City to process their documents. The activity culminated with their office’s month-long observance of the Civil Registration Month in February, which banners the theme “Ikaw at Ako, Tungo sa Wastong Pagrehistro.” (Cherry Mae D. Palicte)

 

Suffocated Miners

BUTUAN CITY – Two gold miners suffocated to death inside a tunnel in the Banukgan gold rush area, Barangay Javier, Barobo, Surigao del Sur, a report reaching the regional police headquarters here on Monday stated. Initial report identified the victims as Juniel De Guzman, 25 from Barangay Bahi, and Manuel Ranoco of Purok 5, Barangay Kauswagan, both in Barobo town. Operatives of the Barobo Municipal Police Station (MPS), along with the relatives brought the bodies of the victims to the Dollete Funeral Homes in nearby San Francisco town, Agusan del Sur, for further post mortem examination. (Mike Crismundo)

 

Revenue Hike

TACURONG CITY – The city government has collected some P9.5-million in revenues from local business permits this year. City Administrator Eduardo Nicolo said at least some 1, 225 business permits had been approved by the city government when it launched the Business-One-Stop-Shop last January. He said there was a marginalized increase of business permits issued this year, compared to the 1,093 in 2013, with some P8-million local revenues collected. In 2012, the revenue collected was pegged at P7-million from 886 business permit applicants.  (Joseph Jubelag)

 

Davao Drainage

DAVAO CITY (PNA) – The Region-11 office of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH-11) is set to undertake two projects that will improve the drainage system of this city. “As per request of the Mayor (Rodrigo Duterte) we are set to undertake a P20-million, and a P10-million drainage projects for the city,” DPWH-11 Director Mariano Alquiza said. City Planning and Development Office chief Mario Luis J. Jacinto earlier said the city already got the commitment of the DPWH for the inclusion of several drainage projects in the agency’s 2014 funding.