NHA relocates 34,000 families from danger areas
January 6, 2014
The government relocated over 34,000 informal settler families (ISFs) living in danger areas in Metro Manila last year, according to Vice President Jejomar C. Binay.
Binay, chairman of the Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council (HUDCC), said the figure is part of the 104,219 ISFs living in danger areas targeted to be relocated by the Aquino government in five years.
The National Housing Authority (NHA) in August last year relocated the said ISFs living along the San Juan River to San Jose Heights in San Jose del Monte, Bulacan, one of the government’s resettlement sites under the ISF Housing Program.
The housing czar said in a statement that the plan to relocate all ISFs living in danger zones in five years is a “special project” of the government, which was given its own P50-billion budget by the president in 2011.
Of the 104,219 ISFs living in danger areas in Metro Manila, about 60,130 occupy major waterways, according to the NHA.
Also last year, Binay ordered the review of the old Comprehensive Land Use Plans (CLUPs) of local government units (LGUs) severely affected by typhoon “Yolanda (Haiyan).”
The review should focus on the effects of climate change and the adoption of risk reduction measures, Binay said.
While a CLUP is LGU’s guide to identify areas suitable for business, agricultural and residential purposes, it also helps avoid areas prone to flooding and landslides, he pointed out.