Luzon Newsbits
Gov’t to hire 670 nurses in Bicol
LEGAZPI CITY — The government will hire 670 nurses in Bicol under the “Nurses Assigned to Rural Service” (NARS) program, said the Region 5 office of the Department of Labor and Employment (DoLE 5) here. Ernesto Bihis, DoLE 5 regional director, said that registered nurses, who remained unemployed for several years and whose family-member was displaced by the global economic crisis, can now apply for employment with the DoLE regional and provincial offices. He said the newly-hired nurses will serve for six months starting on April 1 and will be paid a monthly salary of R8,000. It can be recalled that President Arroyo launched last Feb. 9 the NARS program during the multi-sectoral summit on Global Financial Crisis (GFC) at Malacañang to cushion the effects of the global economic meltdown through local job generation. The President has tasked DoLE to take the lead in the implementation of the program, in coordination with the local government units all over the country. Bihis said that some R5.3 million has been allocated for the Bicol Region, but we are still lobbying for additional funds for additional slots here. (Ed de Leon)
Nolcom reduces rentals at military reservation
CAMP AQUINO, Tarlac City — Authorities at the Northern Luzon Command (Nolcom) headed by Lt. Gen. Isagani Cachuela had agreed to reduce lot-use rentals to be charged to some 700 family settlers at the 16-hectare military reservation here. From the proposed R500 per household, the rental was adjusted to R1 per square meter for lots measuring 100 sq.m. and below; R2 per sq.m. for lots between 101 sq.m. and 200 sq.m., and R500 for lots with areas above 200 sq.m. Tarlac Gov. Victor A. Yap had earlier “asked the intercession of Defense Secretary Gilberto C. Teodoro Jr. to defer the R500 monthly land-use rental being demanded by the Nolcom.” Proceeds from the rentals would be used for the modernization of Camp Aquino, it was learned. Yap also made representations with the Nolcom for a “status quo” on its plan to evict the settlers who are mostly retired soldiers, said Vicente Pacada, executive director of the Tarlac Peace and Development Action Center. Pacada said the governor informed the Zone ABC Neighborhood Association through its president, retired Lt. Col. Rodrigo V. Forbile, that efforts are being made to find a “workable solution to the (eviction) problem.” The residents had also sent letters to President Arroyo, Rep. Jose V. Yap (2nd district, Tarlac) and Secretary Teodoro about their “willingness to own the lots where their houses are situated.” (Jun Kliatchko)
3 suspected extortionists arrested in Bataan
BALANGA CITY, Bataan — Three suspected members of an alleged extortion group were arrested the other day by the Provincial Intelligence Bureau led by Chief Inspector Cesar M. Lumiwes after they were caught in the act of extorting money from a lady trader inside a fast food annex, here. Sr. Supt. Manuel R. Gaerlan, Bataan police director, identified the suspects as Eduardo dela Cruz, 58, of Talisay, here; Gil Sumandal, 38, of Pagalanggang, Dinalupihan town; and Ramon Arellano, 49, of Tenejero, Balanga. Gaerlan said the suspects were arrested one at a time based on the complaint of Emelita Funilas Aquino, sister of village chieftain Ludy Funilas, both of Barangay Lucanin, Mariveles, Bataan, whom the group allegedly threatened to kill since last Feb. 15 through text messages to extort money. Gaerlan said that on the afternoon of Feb. 26, Aquino sought police assistance for the possible entrapment and arrest of the suspects that continuously communicated. "With this development, the operating team set-up an entrapment operation and used ‘mark money’ amounting to RR50,000 which is equivalent to the amount being demanded by the suspects," said Gaerlan. (Mar Supnad)

