P1.7-B expansion of Iloilo River wharf announced
ILOILO CITY, Iloilo – The Philippine Ports Authority (PPA) will expand the Iloilo River wharf at the cost of P1.7 billion to absorb the influx of commercial vessels and enhance commerce and trade in this city.
This was announced by PPA General Manager Juan Sta. Ana last Saturday during the Iloilo River Summit in this city after pledging to finish dredging and return the mouth of the river from currently three meters to its old five-meter depth.
Sta. Ana said that the PPA has dredged and removed 250,000 cubic meters of mud and silt last year with the dredged materials brought to neighboring Guimaras Island and another 200,000 cubic meters removed this year from the mouth of the river at the Parola up to Arroyo St.
For its part, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) has made a commitment to dredge the river from Arroyo St. up to Oton, Dungon Creek, Calajunan Creek and Batiano River as soon as its dredging machine arrives before the end of this month.
Sta. Ana said the expansion of the river at the Fort San Pedro area will include an additional berthing area and 260-meter container port, with an additional 300 meters as back-up area.
The entire expense for this undertaking is estimated to reach P1.7 billion, with another P220 million from the national government for the development of the Rotary Park as a ferry terminal for pumpboats plying between Iloilo and Guimaras.
The PPA has already removed two of the 10 sunken vessels and derelicts and has given notice to the owners through the local newspapers that they have up to March 30, 2011 to remove their vessels.
It has also issued a circular for vessels queuing for repair along the Iloilo River particularly at the Lapuz area.
At present, there are 34 vessels for repair at the Lapuz shipyard and most are hindering the passage at the mouth of the river.


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.