Two Filipino victims in Japan tsunami not necessarily entitled to benefits — OWWA
MANILA, Philippines — The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) said Tuesday that the two Filipino casualties discovered in the wake of the magnitude 8.9 earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan last March 11 may not be automatically entitled to benefits from their agency, especially if they are not registered as members.
OWWA Administrator Carmelita Dimzon made the announcement after they were being called on the death of Grace Agnes Oprecio-Hiruta and her daughter, Maria,12.
Dimzon explained that the national government could still extend assistance to the two victims but if they are not members, the OWWA does not have programs for them.
She said that the OWWA was alerted after Philippine Ambassador to Japan Manuel Lopez confirmed the death of the two after the Fukushima Iwaki Central Police Headquarters reported that the remains were recovered at a house of a certain Mr. Suzuki in Fukushima City in Iwaki, Japan.
The OWWA chief also said that the Philippine Embassy reported that the victims’ relatives had already been advised of the incident.
Dimzon said that Lopez also announced that it is possible that more Filipino casualties may be confirmed in the coming days.
She further added that the Japanese government's figures on the death toll are rising daily but the Philippine Embassy there is hoping there will be no more Filipino casualties.
“The Philippine Embassy in Tokyo continues to relocate Filipinos from Fukushima which is threatened by radiation from a quake-crippled nuclear plant,” Dimzon said.
The OWWA said there are at least 40 more Filipinos still unaccounted for in the quake and tsunami hit areas.




Comments
Please login or register to post comments.