PUV operators warned against joining transport strikes

April 6, 2011, 4:13pm

CEBU CITY, Cebu, Philippines (PNA) — The Land Transportation Office (LTO) in Region VII has warned public utility vehicle (PUV) operators that sanctions will be imposed on them if they join any transport strike amid continuous rise in fuel prices.

LTO 7 Director Raul Aguilos said the franchise or the Certificate of Public Convenience (CPC) issued by the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) can be revoked or suspended after due process and investigation.

The LTFRB will find out whether an operator has violated his franchise, while the LTO will implement sanctions or penalties.

The transport industry in the country threatened to hold a transport strike supposedly last week because of the continuing increase in fuel prices.

However, Cebu transport operators and drivers did not join the transport strike because they did not get support from their peers.

Romeo Armamento, president of the Alyansa sa mga Nagkahiusang Drivers Alang sa Reporma (Andar), said most jeepney drivers don’t want a transport strike while the government is still looking for solutions on the fuel price increases.

The transport cooperatives, such as the Cebu Integrated Transport Service Cooperative (Citrasco) and the Visayas United Drivers Transport Service Cooperative (Vudtrasco), are prohibited to join a transport strike.

Transport cooperatives are also under the jurisdiction and supervision of the Cooperative Development Authority (CDA) and receive incentives from the government.

Citrasco General Manager Benjamin Ryan Yu said that they are waiting for a fuel subsidy from the government.

Government has allocated P500 million for a subsidy to passenger jeepney drivers, but the DoE is still preparing the pertinent guidelines on this matter.

Comments