Cebu fest organizers vow bigger, better event this year

By PHOEBE JEN INDINO
May 12, 2011, 5:45pm

CEBU CITY, Cebu, Philippines — Following the success of last year’s event which broke world records for the most number of rockets fired at one time, this year’s second Cebu fest celebration is expected to be bigger and better with the holding of more than 20 sporting events, free sport clinics, bazaars, and a carnival among other features, according to Cebu City Sports Commissioner and Pyrowork’s owner Brian Lim, who are making this year’s event possible.

The week-long event will kick-off on Saturday, May 14 at the city’s South Reclamation Project where thousands of people are expected to witness and/or join various sporting events like motocross, dancesports, baseball, softball, flag football, beach volleyball, ultimate frisbee, boxing, mixed martial arts and many more activities.

Lim said this year’s celebration will be bigger because emerging water sports like kitesurfing, windsurfing, wakeboarding, and jetski, aside from sky diving will be showcased during the weeklong event.

“Last year the games we featured were mostly land-based,” he said. “This time we will bring in those involving air and water.”

This Saturday’s event will also feature free clinics to allow those who want to learn the new sports to be introduced, with experts in the various games joining in.

Comments