Mayor solves Baguio garbage woes

By DEXTER SEE
May 16, 2011, 6:04pm

BAGUIO CITY, Philippines — Mayor Mauricio G. Domogan here announced Monday that his office has put an end to the city’s garbage problem despite the failure of two multi-million environmental recycling system (ERS) machines to operate in full capacity.

Domogan said the city’s garbage problem is solved because the expensive hauling of hundreds of tons of garbage to an engineered sanitary landfill in Capas, Tarlac, has been totally stopped to prevent the city’s resources from being drained eventually due to the practice.

The ERS machines acquired by the city government converts biodegradable waste into high grade compost fertilizer needed in this agricultural region.

Considering that the city government is now saving at least P2 million per day on hauling expenses that had been stopped, Domogan said more funds will now be given out to the different barangays to fund their priority development projects.

Some of the savings go to the implementation of other high-impact projects in order to boost the growth of the local tourism industry.

In just two-and-a-half years, the city government lost P300 million which was supposedly used to bankroll the implementation of development projects since the funds were solely used to haul hundreds of tons of garbage to Tarlac, thus, there was a stalemate in the distribution of development projects even to the city’s 128 barangays.

Apart from the conversion of biodegradable waste to high grade compost fertilizer, Domogan explained the city will no longer have problems on how to dispose its tons of residual waste since the company that supplied the ERS machines, Protech Machinery Corporation, will be the one to haul out the generated residual waste for a period of ten years which will lessen the burden of the local government.

Comments