Imee thanks P-Noy for 'consideration'

By FREDDIE C. VELEZ
June 7, 2011, 5:10pm

LAOAG CITY, Philippines – Ilocos Norte Governor Imee Marcos Tuesday expressed gratitude to President Benigno S. Aquino III and his administration for giving consideration to proposals to finally afford her father, the late strongman Ferdinand E. Marcos, a state burial.

The Palace has yet to formally announce its position on calls to have the late President Marcos buried at the Libingan ng mga Bayani in Taguig City and afforded full military honors.

But Aquino had earlier assigned Vice President Jejomar Binay to head the panel that will resolve the issue of the burial of the late president, whose body has preserved in a glass coffin at the Marcos’ ancestral house in Batac since 1993.

Binay has already submitted his recommendation to Aquino for review but kept mum on details. Media reported last week that Binay had recommended full military honors be afforded to Marcos but the remains are to be buried in his hometown in Ilocos Norte.

Reacting to these reports, Gov. Marcos expressed acceptance of Binay’s reported recommendation but said their family has yet to discuss it.

The lady governor said she feels this would probably be the closure to the “burial place issue” of her father.

“We are very glad that after more than two decades, the burial site of my father is finally being discussed; although the mechanics and arrangements are still under confer within our family. However, the most important thing is that our father will be buried in its final resting place,” Imee Marocs.

For her part, former First Lady now Congresswoman Imelda R. Marcos refrained from expressing her comment on Binay’s recommendation.

Comments

dapat nyan ay something for something, ang lagay ba weh...