24 fishermen rescued off Bolinao
LINGAYEN, Pangasinan, Philippines — At least 24 fishermen were rescued on Friday by a passing cargo ship in the middle of thrashing waves that sunk their fishing vessel, some 30 nautical miles northwest of Bolinao, this province, local authorities and the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) reported Saturday.
Governor Amado T. Espino Jr. said the 24 survivors are now receiving medical assistance after being taken to safe ground, following their rescue by cargo ship “M/V Sea Palace” at 12:46 p.m. on Friday.
Captain George V. Ursabia Jr., PCG-Northern Luzon district commander, said rescue and patrol boats from Poro Point in San Fernando City, La Union were deployed to help in the rescue effort in the high and dangerous seas.
Ursabia said that despite the rescue, three to five fishermen are still unaccounted for after their vessel “F/B 3 MS Wolf” sank in the rough high seas as tropical depression “Dodong” was moving away from the country.
Office of Civil Defense Director Alex Uy said some of those rescued had already been reunited with their families after receiving medical aid.
It is also being verified whether or not two of the missing had also been rescued but went straight home without being subject to the process of debriefing by authorities or any medical treatment.
Meanwhile, two light fishing vessels with three crew members each, had returned and docked at Arena Point in Agno and Bolinao Ports, respectively, on Thursday night after earlier being reported missing.
The victims said they were pushed away by strong winds and big waves from their mother fishing vessel but managed to find their way back to shore. (With reports by Dexter A. See and Freddie G. Lazaro)


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.