Cebu Customs turn over to gov't corals worth P15 million

By MARS W. MOSQUEDA JR.
June 16, 2011, 6:04pm

CEBU CITY, Cebu, Philippines – The Bureau of Customs (BoC) in Cebu has forfeited in favor of the government P15 million worth of black sea fan corals which it turned over to the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources 7 (BFAR 7) last Tuesday.

The huge coral haul was seized two weeks ago when it arrived in the ports of Cebu after it was diverted from Manila — its original destination- following the intensified campaign against the smuggling of corals.

BoC District Collector Ronnie Silvestre led the turnover of the 13,000 pieces of black corals to BFAR Regional Director Andres Bojos. Silvestre said the corals are now considered government property after these were forfeited in favor of government last week.

No one claimed ownership of the shipment during forfeiture procedures last week.

Two weeks ago, the Enforcement and Security Services headed by its chief, Jerry Arizabal, apprehended the 1x20 footer container van that contained the 168 bundles of dried black sea fan corals placed inside sacks. The shipment arrived at the Cebu Port on May 20.

The shipment was declared as "scrap metals" and consigned to “Cebu Junkshop,” which was later found to be fictitious.

Silvestre said the shipment violated Section 91 of Republic Act 8550 or the Philippine Fisheries Code of 1998.

Bojos said part of the shipment will be donated to educational institutions while the rest will be donated to some non-government organizations that are into environmental preservation.

Black corals serve as food for some organisms within coral reefs and as shelter to other organisms. They can also be made into ornaments or costume jewelry.

Comments