Mosque caretaker killed in Maguindanao blast

July 2, 2011, 12:04pm

CAMP SIONGCO, Maguindanao, Philippines (PNA) – A caretaker of a Mosque was killed when an improvised explosive device went off in Poblacion, Shariff Aguak, Maguindanao Friday night, police said.

Arsad Sapar, caretaker of the grand Mosque died from shrapnel wounds in different parts of his body, according to Senior Supt. Marcelo Pintac, Maguindanao police director.

Pintac said witnesses saw two men planting an improvised explosive device inside the mosque compound and hurriedly left using a motorcycle.

Sapar, whose father is the "Imam" or preacher in the Mosque, was doing his routine check of the building when the IED went off at about 10 p.m.

Pintac said police investigators found fragments of mortar projectiles at the spot where the IED exploded.

“Our investigation is still on going, we are following different leads,” Pintac said.

No one has claimed responsibility for the incident.

Friday night’s bombing was preceded by last week’s IED attack near two government offices near the North Cotabato provincial capitol in Barangay Amas in Kidapawan City and the discovery of two mortar rounds in a passenger van in Sultan Kudarat province.

No one was killed or injured in the blast but the incident triggered panic in the area and prompted the police and military to establish a security cordon around the provincial capitol to prevent a repeat of the attack.

All police and Army units in the region have been placed on heightened alert following the explosion and discovery of several IEDs in North Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, Maguindanao and in Tacurong City.

Comments