No more 'jai-alai' in Pangasinan

By LIEZLE BASA IÑIGO
July 14, 2011, 4:14pm

LINGAYEN, Pangasinan, Philippines — The Pangasinan Police Provincial Office (PPO) announced Thursday that jai-alai operations in the province have been totally stopped, following the order issued by the Departments of Justice (DoJ) and the Interior and Local Government (DILG).

Superintendent Geraldo Roxas, PPO director, said officials of Meredien Vista Gaming Corporation (MVGC) have already stopped its operations since Monday.

Roxas said a monitoring of betting stations showed that MVGC staff have been on leave.

Roxas said that with 40 towns and cities in Pangasinan, off-fronton betting stations were established through business permits granted by town and city executives to MVGC.

He said that any violators will be arrested and charged in court.

Meanwhile, two “jueteng” collectors were arrested on Tuesday in Sison town who said they were collecting bets for a raffle in adjacent La Union.

The police, Roxas said, are now monitoring who will operate the guerilla-type of jueteng operations.

Last month, Supt. Romeo Caramat, the chief of police of Dagupan City, reported there were no illegal numbers games in the city.

Comments