Typhoid confirmed in Cebu town

By MARS W. MOSQUEDA JR.
July 21, 2011, 3:43pm

ALEGRIA, Cebu, Philippines — The Department of Health (DoH) in Central Visayas has confirmed typhoid cases in this town which so far has afflicted at least 100 persons since late last week. Despite this number of confirmed typhoid cases, local officials are not declaring an outbreak of the disease in Alegria.

DOH 7 acting director Elizabeth Tabasa said blood sample taken from 16 victims tested positive for typhoid, an infectious disease linked to fecal contamination of water or food. Nine other samples tested negative, possibly because the bacteria that causes typhoid has to be isolated and detected within three days.

The Regional Epidemiological and Surveillance Unit in Central Visayas (Resu-7) recorded 142 cases of suspected typhoid fever from the mountain barangays of Madridejos and Valencia. About 22 patients have been admitted in nearby Badian District Hospital.

However, Alegria Mayor Millete Guisadio denied reports of typhoid outbreak in her town. She said several patients trooped to the town's hospital after learning that there was a medical mission. She said the patients wanted to see a doctor for other illnesses.

Thursday, Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia personally checked on the conditions of the victims and handed over several medicines and other assistance. She also checked the water source, which is believed to be contaminated and the cause of typhoid cases in Barangay Valencia.

Comments