PNP command revokes Iloilo action

By TARA YAP
August 16, 2011, 4:13pm

ILOILO CITY, Iloilo, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) central command has revoked the gun ban in northern Iloilo.

P/Supt. Ranulfo Demiar, PNP 6 designated spokesperson on said gun ban, confirmed that PNP Dir. Gen. Raul Bacalzo has ordered the lifting of the suspension on the permit to carry firearms in eight of eleven towns in the 5th district.

Bacalzo signed the memorandum Friday last week, August 12, but C/Supt. Cipriano Querol Jr., PNP 6 regional director, only received the document on Monday August 15.

On July 7, Bacalzo through the recommendation of Querol imposed the gun ban in Ajuy, Balasan, Batad, Carles, Concepcion, Estancia, San Dionisio, and Sara for alleged lawlessness and proliferation of illegal firearms.

Citing the assessment of a validating team from Manila who came to northern Iloilo, Bacalzo said the gun ban “failed to curb the alleged proliferation of loose firearms.”

Since July, Querol came under fire from local officials for his alleged “arbitrary and capricious” initiative.

The Provincial Peace and Order Council led by Iloilo Gov. Arthur Defensor Sr., the League of Municipalities of the Philippines-Iloilo led by Anilao Mayor Ma. Teresa Debuque, and the Iloilo Provincial Board slammed the gun ban and called it “bereft of any factual, realistic, and logical basis, and its motive appears to be highly suspicious.”

On his part, Querol cited intelligence reports on a “sleeping giant” out to disturb peace and order in northern Iloilo.

The gun ban was also considered unconstitutional by Secretary Leila De Lima of the Department of Justice (DoJ) even as it prompted Iloilo-native Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago to call for a Senate inquiry on its legality.

Comments