DoH 7 issues dengue alert

By MARS W. MOSQUEDA JR.
August 22, 2011, 4:30pm

CEBU CITY, Cebu, Philippines – Due to the onset of the rainy season, the Department of Health in Central Visayas (DoH 7) has issued a stern warning to residents regarding the possible rise of dengue cases in the region.

Stagnant rainwater gathered in puddles are sure breeding grounds for dengue-carrying mosquitoes, said DoH 7 Director Susana Madarieta, pointing out that with the onset of the rainy season, more breeding grounds are expected to be created, triggering the birth of more mosquitoes.

Madarieta underlined the DoH's urgent call for the public to empty receptacles and containers containing water which could very well become possible sources of dengue-bearing mosquitoes. She also reminded local government units (LGUs) to intensify their information campaign and mobilize their community to participate in sanitation activities.

The DoH 7 official made the warning amid heavy rains falling in Cebu for the past days which have caused landslide and flooding in some areas. Last Sunday, at least five families in Sitio Awihaw, Barangay Kalunasan had to evacuate their houses which were affected by a landslide caused by heavy rains.

There were also reports of flooding in several areas in Cebu City after heavy rains fell at around mid-afternoon.

Cebu City Local Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (LDRRMO) ground commander Molly Guarin said a landslide hit some parts of Kalunasan but luckily, did not injure anyone. Guarin said the victims have been used to vacating their houses as soon as the rain pours.

He said barangay officials are requesting the city government for the rip-rap in Sitio Lukana to be cemented after it was affected by the landslide.

In sitio Tigbao, Barangay San Jose, vehicles were made to use just one lane. Guarin said only one lane was passable after heavy rains damaged a major part of the road. A railing also fell near the damaged portion of the road apparently due to the loosened soil.

Meanwhile, as of Aug. 13, the Regional Epidemiological and Surveillance Unit in Central Visayas recorded some 2, 717 cases with 18 deaths. This is still lower compared to the same period last year with 5,394 cases and 40 deaths.

Cebu City still tops the list with most cases at 20 deaths and 930 patients.

Comments