Zambo blast kills 3, wounds 28
ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines — At least three people, including a woman bound for a job aboard, were killed and 28 others wounded when an improvised bomb ripped through a budget hotel in this city on Sunday night, raising police and military alert in the city.
Chief Superintendent Elpidio de Asis, Zamboanga Peninsula Police Regional Office (PRO) director, said improvised explosive device (IED) was so powerful that it blew up the entire two-storey Atilano Pension House building which had 35 rooms.
“The entire building was damaged as a result of that (blast) because aside from the direct effect of the explosion, a fire ensued,” said de Asis.
Senior Supt. Edwin de Ocampo, city police director, said the bomb appeared to have exploded inside Room 222 on the second floor of the pension house located on Mayor Jaldon Street in Barangay Canelar.
De Ocampo identified the fatalities as Fidel Aguias, 24, of Pagadian City; Roel Barcelona, 51 of Basilan; and a certain “Mariz,” whose documents showed that she was about to leave for a job in Malaysia.
Director Felicisimo Khu, head of the Directorate for Integrated Police Operations-Western Mindanao, said Barcelona and Mariz died of their wounds at the hospital.
Aguias, who was found dead in his room, was in the city along with other guests at the hotel to attend a wedding celebration scheduled Monday afternoon at the Astoria Regency in this city, said Khu.
“At least 28 others were taken to the hospital,” said Khu, adding that the injured included three Marine commandos.
The Philippine Information Agency (PIA) said among the victims is the wife and daughter of Claro Lanipa of the PIA Pagadian City office.
Around 80 other hotel guests were lucky to be out when the explosion occurred.
Khu said initial investigation showed that a certain “Jeffrey” and his woman companion were occupying Room 222, where the bomb exploded.
They checked in at 7 p.m. and then left around 9 p.m. or 30 minutes before the explosion took place.
“We are still conducting investigation as to the persons responsible but only the Abu Sayyaf is doing this kind of attack,” said de Asis.
The Abu Sayyaf angle was also confirmed by Khu, saying the incident is similar to the bombing at Mon’s Kitchenette in Isabela City on June 25 this year that left two dead and 15 others wounded.
Probers also noted that the IED was similar to the one that exploded at the Red Palm Pension House last month. “Except that last night IED has an incendiary component, probably gasoline,” said Khu.
“The type, nature and make of these IEDs are associated with the ASG,” he added.
Earlier, Zamboanga City Mayor Celso Lobregat theorized that the bomb used in the attack was coupled with a highly-flammable liquid in order to raze the entire building.
Lobregat ordered City Health Officer Rodel Agbulos to closely monitor the condition of the victims particularly those who are still confirmed at the different hospitals here.
De Asis said the casualties are either pension house staff or customers.
He said they are now coordinating with the owner of the pension house to look for the records of who occupied the room where the IED was planted.
“The owner promised us to provide the record and from that, we hope that we can either identify the perpetrators or that it could give us an idea of who could have brought the bomb inside,” said de Asis.
In the aftermath, police and military security in the city was increased.
De Ocampo said they have deployed addition plain clothes policemen.


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.