Coal-hauling truck dimensions in MoA must be followed – Cebu capitol
CEBU, Philippines – The Cebu provincial government will start apprehending trucks used as coal haulers around the province violating specified truck dimensions specified in a Memorandum of Agreement drawn by Cebu capitol, the Department of Energy (DoE)’s Visayas Field Office and coal quarry and extraction permit holders and haulers in the province Monday.
Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia said she will immediately order the Capitol task force to apprehend trucks not conforming with the dimensions agreed in said MoA, that is, 1.30 meters in height, 2.30 meters in width, and 4.73 meters in length.
The governor expressed dismay that only five of 23 coal haulers in Cebu were at the MoA signing Monday at the Capitol and said the absence of the majority of haulers from the ceremony will not defer the implementation of the rules and regulations specified in the MoA.
“The specific truck dimensions are so defined and I will immediately order Team Eskina to apprehend trucks carrying coal that do not conform with the dimensions specified in the MoA, whether or not the haulers have placed heir signature on it,” Garcia stressed.
The truck dimensions became a major concern of Cebu province after it was observed that indiscriminate overloading of trucks carrying sand, gravel, and other quarry materials is the main cause in the destruction of roads and bridges here.
Capitol had earlier met with truck operators to discuss the issue and the latter all agreed to adjust the sizes of their trucks to prevent the further deterioration of roads and bridges in the province.
The signing of the MOA Monday was supposed to concretely manifest agreement between the provincial government and the haulers, but, as it turned out only five of the expected 24 haulers came to put their signature on the document.
“The DoE has already concurred and signed the M0A, which means signature or no signature by the coal operators, these dimensions will be strictly followed. I hope that message is loud and clear,” Garcia said.
The Cebu governor said she will also ask mayors in the province to review the business permits of these coal truck operators and check if these permits will continue to be issued despite blatant violation of the aforesaid MoA.


Comments
Please login or register to post comments.