Cebu's P3.6-B 2012 budget approved

By MARS W. MOSQUEDA JR.
December 13, 2011, 4:33pm

CEBU, Philippines – Without objection, the Cebu Provincial Board (PB) last Monday approved the P3.6-billion budget proposed for Cebu in 2012. Said amount is the biggest proposed in the history of the province.

Voting unanimously, the PB members approved on third and final reading said budget, which allocates P2.7 billion for social and general services, for next year as proposed by Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia.

Also highlighted in the approved budget are P791 million for economic services. The annual investment plan was allotted P776 million while general public services got P447.2 million.

A total of P38.3 million was allotted for the Office of the Vice Governor, which is 111 percent higher than last year’s budget for said Office, while P97.5 million was given the nod for the PB.

Budgets for major development projects next year include P160 million for the construction, rehabilitation, furnishing and maintenance of hospitals and birthing centers; and P256 million for the province’s water supply development program.

Some P170 million was allocated for Cebu province’s airport, seaport, reclamation and economic enterprise site development program; while P40 million was approved by the PB for the construction and rehabilitation of roads, bridges and highways.

Other major appropriations include P65 million for the provincial government’s peace and order program; P25 million for its confidential and intelligence expenses program; P17 million for college scholarship grants; P30 million for the expanded green-and-wholesome-environment-that nurtures program; five percent lump sum in the amount of P98.6 million for local disaster risk reduction and management fund (calamity fund).

The 2012 budget also provided P98 million for the Provincial Development Assistance Fund; P111 million for hospital and health supplies and equipment; P68 million for the PhilHealth program; and P28 million for roads and bridges maintenance.

Comments