Appeals for Tandang Sora Day

January 8, 2012, 5:39pm

QUEZON CITY (PIA) — Josephine Geronimo, chairperson of the “Mga Apo ni Tandang Sora Foundation,” has asked President Benigno S. Aquino III and House Speaker Feliciano Belmonte to set a national holiday for the “Ina ng Himagsikan,” Tandang Sora.

In her speech during the bicentennial celebration of the birth of Tandang Sora on Friday, Geronimo said she is happy that finally her grandmother’s remains have returned ‘home’ to a newly built Tandang Sora Shrine in Banlat, Quezon City – her birth and death place.

In the same speech, Geronimo formally conveyed the request of the heroine’s grandchildren, seeking for the declaration of January 6 every year as the “Tandang Sora Day”.

She told PIA-NCR, in an interview, that “maganda naman ang ginawa niya sa ating bayan (she did good deeds to help this country) that deserves a day of remembrance and enlistment in the Philippine calendar.”

Geronimo also pointed out that her grandmother is a “national heroine.” National heroes Jose Rizal and Andres Bonifacio, who were also instrumental to the nation’s freedom, both have their day of remembrance as national holidays.

Once in place, she also said, the national holiday for Tandang Sora will usher in more people to the Shrine to celebrate her birthday.

Born on January 6, 1812 in Barrio Banlat, Balintawak, Caloocan (now Banlat, Quezon City), Tandang Sora, whose real name is Melchora Aquino, supported the revolutionaries by providing food, medicine, and shelter during the Philippine revolution. She died at age of 107 on February 20, 1919.

The “Mother of the Philippine Revolution” was buried at the Mausoleum of the Veteranos de la Revolucion at the Manila North Cemetary. Later, her remains was moved to Himlayang Pilipino Park in Quezon City and remained there for 42 years.

With the request of her family, the city government of Quezon was able to secure the consent of the Himlayang Pilipino last year for her transfer to a shrine in Banlat, Quezon City. This Tandang Sora Shrine now holds her bones in an urn, surrounded by murals, and national marker fit for a heroine.

President Aquino and Speaker Belmonte were among the guests of honors of the celebration cum re-interment. They were joined by DepEd Secretary Armin Luistro, officials of the National Historical Institute, Quezon City Herbert Bautista and Vice Mayor Joy Belmonte.

Meanwhile, in Calauag, Quezon- The Philippine Army's (PA) top official based here said yesterday that several members of the New People's Army (NPA) are sending surrender feelers through some municipal officials who want to avail the government's initiatives of peace program in the province.

Army's 201st Infantry Brigade commanding officer Col.Eduardo Ano said that the government is sincere on the peace program to make the province peaceful so that progress and development be met.

He said that the military is still expecting surrenderee on the coming days, but he cannot reveal the names of the NPA members in order to protect their safety.

Ano further assured the rebels that in cooperation with the Local Government Unit, the PNP and the AFP will protect them and provide greater opportunity waiting at the hands of the government.

Based on the latest record, two members of the rebels voluntarily submitted themselves to the military and sought livelihood assistance from the government in the municipality of San Francisco Quezon on Saturday.

The two were identified as Jerry Orcales, alias ka Randy, 44, married, and a resident of sitio Pantangan barangay Pagsangahan and Warlito Arogancia alias ka Lawin” Arogancia, 35, residents barangay Pugon, both of San Francisco town facilitated by former barangay councilman Zaldy Villanueva. (With a report from Danny Estacio)

 

Comments