DOLE: Costa Concordia Seafarers Receive Compensation
MANILA, Philippines — At least 281 of the 291 seafarers from the grounded MV Costa Concordia in Italy have now received their compensation worth $2 million from their employer, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) said.
The luxury liner was stranded near the western coast of Italy after it struck a rock last month, which permanently damaged its hull.
Citing a report from the National Conciliation and Mediation Board (NCMB), Labor and Employment secretary Rosalinda Baldoz said in a statement Wednesday the seafarers received a total of $2 million from Magsaysay Maritime Corporation, the local manning agency of Costa Concordia.
“The 281 of the 291 seafarer-claimants have already received their cheque, ranging from a low of US$ 553 to as high as US$12, 610,” Baldoz said.




Comments
Please login or register to post comments.