Palace still won’t give P40,000 aid to ‘Yolanda’ survivors
Malacañang on Thursday said it would rather provide shelter and employment for “Yolanda” survivors than give them the P40,000 financial aid.
“There are some demands that we were not able to meet, for instance, the P40,000. We have a reason why it is better to give them homes rather than give them money,” Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda said in a Palace press briefing.
“We would prefer to give them employment rather than give them P40,000. We’d rather give them the tools to fish rather than just give them the fish,” he added.
An alliance of Yolanda survivors has demanded P40,000 cash assistance for each family so they can build their own houses damaged by the typhoon late last year. The group submitted its petition to the Palace last Monday.
President Aquino however was lukewarm to giving cash dole-outs to the typhoon victims, saying it was too costly for a short-term solution.
Aquino even criticized the typhoon victims who trooped to the Palace to demand cash assistance. “It seems to me that if they are capable of attending to their trip to Manila, perhaps they can also attend to their livelihood,” he said.
Lacierda assured the public that the government would hasten the reconstruction efforts in calamity-hit areas, saying it will not be deterred by “political statements” claiming their efforts have been slow and lacking.
As part of the “build back better” strategy, Lacierda said the permanent homes for the calamity victims would be disaster-resilient.
“There will always be people who will not be happy, satisfied with our efforts, but we will not be deterred,” he said.
“Our responsibility is to bring them back on their feet. There will always be criticisms, but our determination will never diminish, will not waver because that is our responsibility,” he added.