Philpop 2014 finalists named
The 12 finalists of this year’s Philippine Popular Music Festival (Philpop) have been announced recently, with songs picked from over 2,500 entries submitted in November.
These went through four stages of scrutiny by a group of music experts as assigned by the Philpop Musicfest Foundation Inc., helmed by acclaimed composer Ryan Cayabyab.
Here’s the list of finalists as published on the Philpop website.
1. “NGSB (No Girlfriend Since Break)” by Davey Langit
2. ”The Only One” by Venelyn San Pedro
3. ”Awit Mo’y Nandito Pa” by Ronaldo Sorioso
4. ”Torpe Song” by Daryl Ong
5. ”Babalikan Mo Rin Ako” by Soc Villanueva
6. ”Song On A Broken String” by Jude Gitamondoc and Therese Marie Villarante
7. ”Salbabida” by Jungee Marcelo
8. “Dear Heart” by Mike Villegas
9. ”Hangout Lang” by Allan Feliciano and Isaac Joseph Garcia
10. ”Qrush On You” by QYork’s James Palma aka Flava Matikz and Cedric Bonjoc aka Knowa Lazarus
11. “Kung Akin Ang Langit” by Cecilia Bocobo and Isaac Joseph Garcia
12. ”Langit Umaawit” by Ronaldo Sorioso
As part of competition rules, the songwriters are tasked to select interpreters for their creation. The winner, who will take home one-million pesos in prizes, will be named on July 26 at the Meralco
Theater in Pasig City.
The Top 12 songs will soon be made available via the Philpop 2014 album, to be produced and distributed by Universal Records, and music portal Spinnr.
The 12 finalists from last year’s competition amassed around 43 million views on YouTube, with the winning song “Dati,” written by Thyro Alfaro and Yumi Lacsamana, performed by Sam Concepcion, Tippy dos Santos and Quest, earning 23 million hits.