CARMEN, Cebu, Philippines – Authorities here uprooted some 1,200 fully-grown marijuana plants in upland barangay Hagnaya last Monday.
The haul, worth an estimated P250,000, was seized from a plantation in sitios Bulwang and Lobo in a joint operation of the Regional Intelligence Unit (RIU)-7, the Philippine Army’s 52IB, 78 IB and 8th ID and cops from the Carmen Police Station.
SPO2 Simplicio Gibo of Carmen Police Station said the RIU, with the PA units were having an operation in the barangay when they spotted the location of the marijuana plantation.
The operatives did not find anyone in the plantation. The illegal plants were brought to the custody of RIU-7 for disposition. (Mars W. Mosqueda Jr.)
An Waray trains young leaders
TACLOBAN CITY, Leyte – The An Waray party-list is conducting a month-long leadership training in the An Waray Youth Center here for 25 youths from various parts of Leyte. Specialists were invited as resource speakers to talk on environmental preservation, literacy, sanitation and other relevant issues and advocacies.
Rep. Florencio Noel of An Waray said the participants, mostly leaders of school-based youth groups, will be “immersed” in communities, joining in people’s activities in barangays in Tacloban and in Babatngon and Palo. (Restituto A. Cayubit)
Irrigators’ 25th anniversary
ROXAS CITY, Capiz (PIA) – The Cogon-Libon Irrigators Service Association (ISA) in Panay, Capiz marked its 25th year last week with a program at Barangay Cogon in Panay town.
Capiz Board Member Jonathan Besa conveyed Gov. Victor A. Tanco’s message, stressing that “one priority of mine to attain a vibrant economy is strengthening the agriculture sector.
” To illustrate, Tanco said he is poised to approve the proposed concreting of a four-kilometer irrigation canal in the province that would help ensure the production of rice by local farmers.
Siquijor ruby jubilee
SIQUIJOR (PIA) – Siquijor is all set for its Ruby Jubilee Year on September 17, 2011 with the staging of such activities as an agri-trade fair, poster making, garay, bulilit, comparza, tourism jingle, dancesports, balitaw, balak, festival of festivals showdown, cultural presentation and the search for Miss Siquijor Tourism 2011.
The Provincial Board is urging all sectors to get involved while mayors of Siquijor’s six towns are requesting Capitol for adequate budgets to support the extravaganzas they plan to stage in their respective municipalities.
Sportsfest coordinator Rowena Maputi asked for the use of tri-media to help publicize a much more “fabulous” Araw ng Siquijor.
Red cross fund drive
BORONGAN, Eastern Samar (PIA) – The Philippine National Red Cross (PNRC) in Borongan City is inviting everyone to join its “Walk for Humanity” on May 6, a fund-raising event to support its activities.
At least 20 city barangays have already confirmed attendance in the event which starts 5 a.m. from the Provincial Capitol.
From there, participants will walk around the city and end at the Mayor Luis Capito Cultural Stage. Registration fee for the four-kilometer walk is P350, with free event T-shirt.